We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Extract .dat files?

BeSweeet

It crashed upon launch. The manual mentions requiring tio.dll and zlib-1.2.1.dll that I don't have. I tried a different DAT tool from that site, and it kept creating endless nested folders called (null). Assuming they're different types of DAT archives.

How about this one? WD files extractor download - Watch Dogs - Mod DB If Ubi uses one specific kind of .dat maybe that'll work.. maybe... :lol:

How about this one? WD files extractor download - Watch Dogs - Mod DB If Ubi uses one specific kind of .dat maybe that'll work.. maybe... :lol:

Works! :)

Tried extracting some of the sound .DAT files. Within are thousands of small text files and various-sized psb/riff/swf (not a Flash file) files. Not sure how to open those. Not sure if I want to at this point.

Works! :)

Tried extracting some of the sound .DAT files. Within are thousands of small text files and various-sized psb/riff/swf (not a Flash file) files. Not sure how to open those. Not sure if I want to at this point.

Sweeet. Step one of modding The Crew :p

"The Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF) is a generic file container format for storing data in tagged chunks. It is primarily used to store multimedia such as sound and video, though it may also be used to store any arbitrary data."

It sounds like that's the file you want to get into to find the sounds then. The text files... maybe a fancy .ini type file for each sound? Who knows? I think Audacity can import .riff files though :hmmm:

It sounds like that's the file you want to get into to find the sounds then. The text files... maybe a fancy .ini type file for each sound? Who knows? I think Audacity can import .riff files though :hmmm:

Interestingly, the biggest file happens to be the SWF. The RIFF and PSB files are <100KB in size. The particular .DAT I extracted is global_sounds.dat (299MB). For common_sounds.dat (852MB), the biggest file (only 2 total) is the PSB (typically for Photoshop and other Adobe software).

Try dragging whatever file that seems large enough to be audio into VLC and see if it can work out the codec. Larger studios these days have probably worked out how to prevent that (or make it difficult) by now.

None of the files in the two test .DAT files seemed large enough to be audio files. Files were either small (<100KB) or large (200MB+).