We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

2016 The Crew Expansion: Calling all Units

Ryzza5

TCCAU_TrailerHeader_262588.jpg

You wanted to join forces with Police in The Crew, but you couldn't.

Now* you can. Let's hope it reviews better than

did. At least it'll have a better map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfRlXedAfEE

*November 29

Calling all units! A new trailer has been sighted! | | News | The Crew

I wonder how they will price this. Be nuts to go too high as it doesn't have the same draw as the big hitters and on Xbox One and PC they will have to contend with Horizon 3 so ideally the number 10 should be the way I would want them to go, but I doubt they will. And the reason I say I like what's being shown here is that it adds another new way to play the game and get players involved in it. They will need to show that it is worthwhile and address some of the concerns already being uttered by people such as single-sound siren and the quality of the lightbar itself. After all, it makes sense that when you have seen other games do this you expect later games to match or go one better in that regard.

With close to 3 months until release I am sure they will see what people playing have to say about it and will act on it.

You can check out more on the game add-on at the twitch Showcase that happened earlier today.

Trailer starts: 1h 49m 30s | Showcase: 1h 50m 30s

Twitch

Even with lag and completely different weight and handling systems I still reckon that was more fun than what I can see this expansion pack producing. But, we did ask for expansion packs back in the day and they are delivering on that.

Other TDU police chase endings

yy8pC57ZVG8xBpT9AK_yS_7kZzBx05-J8w8FhLIi9SOxsBfPKBJAI5fK6h2a8EOQLvw2kQtC0-Vf8A=w1920-h1080-rw-no

1Kg2GqSDoU75T-SvgJuhVwfWwug9USLkBLyVvFKNhM_3kPbDZ6xth4PQXGoRsS0M7_dY3-RK9pf4cA=w1920-h1080-rw-no

4EWAW_5zwt4sxc6suzkk4wRAnKn-Mxdx3LuOVIdTT7yROiWcaC1CnU4FvncKJaAfaVhuGzyL0IiHSg=w1920-h1080-rw-no

WhnTZQG9fL9dGlz2D5rIJ4dg_luRU63vc40uKPdCLe3ggO34rSv407six5dDICp5H0qiGQCj9b_BKw=w1920-h1080-rw-no

x4uQpX-1W4BEzoY0nze2isBa5q0LmYZT12wY2CTl5rF_GsA90SlhT_l6qPmw1vQk2J79lP2W9Xm5xQ4=w1920-h1080-rw-no

tHMH1dgWdacRYpyZmLnx-8WgZkFBPLCGunPq7kh53DczTF1u_GwUTHjqp5FucHdaTOGU7K2HSasRgA=w1920-h1080-rw-no

S__I9TspP9PxeqeoDK8GnzUatn0DJCe1EgD9B9ne1PlnfJ9IettD6RYMiwJnCHx2shv8LA7h-WWZiQ=w1920-h1080-rw-no

Memo, if you ever need a getaway driver do no ask Destroyer-GT :)

Calling All Units in my mind only needed to add the police sirens and liveries and a more fair mechanism for determining when someone was caught. i.e. you've got to crash into them and stop them.

Those things were frustrating (but expected playing with Europe) but it added to the challenge which was fun. Driving behind someone for 7 seconds to bust them is the total opposite. I don't recall having the same issues on those other occasions where I took photos but not recordings.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Crew 'Calling All Units' Keys Are Up For Grabs in Latest Community Challenge

[headline]The Crew 'Calling All Units' Keys Are Up For Grabs in Latest Community Challenge[/headline]

thecrew-callingallunits-glc-coupe-police_2-800x300.jpg

Players of The Crew can get themselves in with a chance of winning a 'Calling All Units' expansion key with the latest Community Challenge to go live in the game.

Open to all players and platforms from November 16th - 22nd, the Los Angeles based 'Fake Out' challenge will pit them against a prison bus that is accompanied with...

Read more on this...

• 1 month later...

I purchased this expansion in the steam winter sales. Now treating this game as 100% arcade and using the gamepad instead of a wheel (although still using hardcore mode), the new chase mode is pretty fun, and the core gameplay mechanics are well executed. I find it to be a proper pick-up and play alternative to Rocket League for killing 30-60 minutes now.

Nevertheless, and many steam reviews echo this, I just can't see the value for money. There might be quite a number of police vehicles, but with only one cop shop and about 7 slots with high prices, it could take ages before you get a chance to buy the one you want. The extra story missions are over very quickly and do not offer anything that unique over the original (which already had harder chase + takedown missions). It is good that all players can 'be chased' without the DLC, but if you really want to chase others, there's nothing to stop you spending $0 and trying to stop the player with a non-police car - you just wouldn't have any "abilities" that effect the escaping player.

The 'crates' progress appears to be reset each day. If you're good, go straight for the Platinum ones - the distance is a bit longer but I don't find it that much harder to escape. It's a good way to quickly level up a car as well.

TL;DR

If you don't mind the handling, try out the 'being chased' side for free. If you like the mode and really want to try chasing others in a proper police car, get the DLC when you think the price is reasonable. I'd suggest ~$15 AUD as reasonable - you're probably never going to get to use all the new cars. You still require a good $400,000 in game credits to buy the various spec police cars (Dirt, Performance, Raid, Circuit) to complete the approx. 10 missions. Once they are done you'll probably only ever use your fastest Circuit and Raid police vehicles.