We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Community development: Project DRIVE (working title)

TDUZoqqer

[quote name='Loek']@TDUZoqqer if you can help Playground Games by selecting cars to add to the game that the community actually wants, get that job ;)[/QUOTE] I wish it would be that easy haha! I think there are more reasons behind the scenes about not adding the cars the people want than just not wanting to. I know of strict regulations on the licenses and stuff. One reason why Mitsubishi and Toyota aren't featured.

• 4 weeks later...

Heylo, time to revive the thread a bit. I was very busy with work and other stuff in the past time so I didn't have much time to update my game (Also thanks to Forza Horizon 4 which also took a majority of my free time lel)

I am "back" on my game again ("" because I sort of am, since I have had some time the past 3 days). I finally put in the new UI into the project and it's working very well. It still has some imperfections which I need to take on with time, but the core of it is working good. As you might imagine, I won't be able to release the demo this year anymore, as it's still missing some things everywhere, and eventho the most are easy fixes, they still take a lot of time.

Nontheless, the progress is good and I can't wait to show you it :) Stay tuned.

Maybe a wee tech demo for us this Christmas? ;)

I don't think I'll finish anything till christmas. Many core things aren't ready to make even a small demo (eg. pause menue to quit, settings, optimized controls, UI, logics etc). I will try tho.

E: What you guys can do, tho, is sending me pictures of the coolest mods for the BMW E46 Coupe. :3 (bodykits, bumpers, spoilers, splitters etc)

Hello there, I'm K3

a friend recently showed me this Project of yours and I got to say I'm interested, I'm a self-made 3D Designer working with Blender and Substance Designer/Painter and got some experience with UE4 already, I'm busy until next year but then I would be happy to help you in this Community project as I'm a fan of TDU and TDU2

Hello there, I'm K3

a friend recently showed me this Project of yours and I got to say I'm interested, I'm a self-made 3D Designer working with Blender and Substance Designer/Painter and got some experience with UE4 already, I'm busy until next year but then I would be happy to help you in this Community project as I'm a fan of TDU and TDU2

Hey! Cool, happy to hear that, thanks a lot for the interest :) 3D people come quite handy as I still need a lot to model for the first cars I'm planning. Hit me up when you have free time we could chat a bit about the future and what we expect.

Just as a disclaimer tho, I wanted to make sure that everyone who is helping gets to see this:

Also, in case I really will finish it one day, this will remain FREE forever and forum exclusive, as I don't have commercial rights on the 3D models, textures, brands or software, so I can't pay anyone who will be involved, sorry about that.

That's a project I do in my free time, and it should be kept this way. For the other people helping me on this project, this might be a good exercise and maybe something for the portfolio later when we will release something.

In a case, when I would make a commercial project somewhen, I will hit up the Project: DRIVE people first and those projects would get paid. I am working in Video game development in real life, so it's not that unrealistic. Maybe as a motivation.

Just wanted to make that clear. I am a freelancer, therefore I always need to know the payment inbefore so that nobody gets scammed, and I don't want to scam you guys either.

I'm into Modeling Cars and everything that belongs to them, but recently I've also started working on world assets. When it comes to LODs UE4 has probably the industry's best auto LOD generator out there but I don't mind doing some of them by hand. I've also used some Forza models for mods so I know how to work with them and add to them in terms of tuning parts. Textures are also something I'm enjoying thanks to Substance Designer/Painter.

and btw may I ask if you guys have a Discord Server as that would be easier to chat, talk and share images or files?

[quote name='K3RAMB0']I'm into Modeling Cars and everything that belongs to them, but recently I've also started working on world assets. When it comes to LODs UE4 has probably the industry's best auto LOD generator out there but I don't mind doing some of them by hand. I've also used some Forza models for mods so I know how to work with them and add to them in terms of tuning parts. Textures are also something I'm enjoying thanks to Substance Designer/Painter.[/QUOTE] Oh, no I am aware of the Unreal LOD, I was just wondering if I could give this task to you hypothetically speaking when Unreal messes up somehow. :) World assets are also very welcome! In fact, for the demo level I am still missing some assets (not speaking about how incredibly basic the level is) which I always push to "another day". Textures are also really cool, I myself work with painter too, although I have no idea about designer. I sneaked a peak at Sound Forge's one, but it's a bit too complicated for me. I tend to overcomplicate the task textures very fast. [quote name='K3RAMB0'] and btw may I ask if you guys have a Discord Server as that would be easier to chat, talk and share images or files?[/QUOTE] I personally don't as I'm mostly a lone wolf on the internet and only online on forums and reddit for my gaming/modding stuff. Hell, I don't even have friends on steam lmao. But if you have one yourself, or if TDuck (@Diablo pls) have one, I would love to join![/QUOTE]

I don't have a personal server as I'm mostly on a server where I'm a moderator, but it's not too hard to create one and customize it for our needs.

I will create one tomorrow and send you an invite link, unless of course, TDuck has one that we could use.

on there we could discuss more detailed stuff about Project Drive, I'm already pretty stoked to work on it soon hopefully. :D

[quote name='Diablo']@K3RAMB0 @TDUZoqqer here you go [URL='https://discord.gg/vMKPujc']Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers[/URL][/QUOTE] *cough cough* *wink wink* [URL="https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf2-8wr-discord-integration.6058/"]XF2 [8WR] Discord Integration[/URL] @TDUZoqqer I literally cannot wait to drive a Dacia Duster. Best car in the game IMO.

[quote name='TIMELESS']*cough cough* *wink wink* [URL='https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf2-8wr-discord-integration.6058/']XF2 [8WR] Discord Integration[/URL] @TDUZoqqer I literally cannot wait to drive a Dacia Duster. Best car in the game IMO.[/QUOTE] Hahahaha youre barely in the discord already knowing whats going on :lol: Gotta need tuning parts for it tho!

Quick Update: since I put in the new UI some weeks ago I reworked the whole menue ever since. Progress is great! I finally can put down a todo List what is left, sorted by order i am going to take it on.

-fix the extras-panel in the tuning menue. Its the first task as its the most complicated (after which the body tuning Panel is done)

-adapt plates Panel to new UI(after which it will be done aswell)

-adapt existing rims Panel

-add minor functionalities to rims Panel

-create UI for the wheel size menue

-create window tint panel (wont take very long as I have the Basic functionalities already coded

-create Suspension panel (going to wheels panel, will be Tricky as i need to mess around with physics)

-add and fix minor Details on UI

-Continue working on Pause menue (without settings for Demo as it would take too long to develop since i am way behind schedule already)

After that the UI is done. Everything after that are small tweaks as which:

-finish up modeling environment

-local variable transfer (savegame)

-adding actual demo version cars with tuning parts

-add some rims, Frames and other Universal tuning parts

-and maybe some small stuff i dont remember

Still, a long way to Go, but at this point the most work was already done. As far I can tell, everyone, even game Development collegues are saying the game looks great. So maybe it is :) stay tuned. Hope to have the Demo done before February.

Edited by TDUZoqqer

• 1 month later...

Oof okay, I delayed the demo twice already, unfortunately I have to again.

Now, back when I started Project: DRIVE I was unemployed, and had a bunch of free time to work on. Since I am self employed since december, the amount of my free time drastically became smaller. Regardless of that, I worked every single minute of my free time on PD. But it wasn't as much as I expected to make a demo done till end of january lol

Anyway, I have made a lot of progress on the demo. And since I wasn't really active on the forums in the last time, I can only recomend you to check out the tduck discord with a Project: DRIVE channel, where I post all of the progress in.

https://discord.gg/pSwZSmy

Demo will be done soon, but I can't say precisely when. But it will be done soon! 😄

• Eudemon unpinned this topic
  • 3 years later...

Helo

I had some difficulties with the project in the past (time-wise and code-wise) so I decided to redo it from scratch. Since I am a bit more structured and knowledgeable when it comes to coding a game than I was when I started this thread, I basically rewrote all features I needed 2 years for in a month. I will share pics soon.

Right now I am working on the cars, and since I have absolutely no clue about JDM culture, I wanted to ask you guys for help.

My demo will feature a couple of cars of different cultures and tiers, and one of them is the Nissan 240 SX. Since I, once again, have no idea about JDM besides that some look really cool, I need an overview of popular visual mods for it. I know of pandem rocket bunny and stuff, but if you have more knowledge which bodykits, bumpers, spoilers, bonnets, exhausts etc. exist as popular mods for the model let me know.

Another idea was to use a Toyota Chaser or Mark II Tourer (I like how they look like) instead but there are barely any 3D models of it, let alone customization parts for it. One more contender is the Honda Civic, but yet again, I have no idea about customization about it.

I intentionally did not pick an R35 (I already have an exotic tier car in, which I consider the R35 to be) and the R34, AE86 and Supra would be a bit too obvious and too common for a halo tuner themed car in a racing game so I take a bit of a different approach.

Side note: the muscle tier car will be a 2006 Mustang GT, but feel free to suggest other stuff for it. Keep in mind that it has to be a model which has at least a few modification options available. So please dont suggest something like a Challenger Demon because its pretty much a modded car from the get-go and barely has any visual customization options.

Tier 4 is trucks and this will feature a G-Wagon. Mainly because I have all custom parts for it prepared already

Sorry for being gone for so long, but real life hits hard sometimes.

E: pics of like 2 weeks ago. Will post more recent somewhen later this week, but barely anything is difference except it has now all materials and tires.

1769373724_unknown(1).thumb.png.9a851f35fdf82659bb73a1daab95ab85.png

201289313_unknowncopy.thumb.jpg.1e3e2d89ea998547148306e611a7a453.jpg

Edited by TDUZoqqer