We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Is converting sounds directly from other games okay?

MichaelB450

Just a quick question regarding making sound mods for TDU2. Can I directly rip sounds from other games and convert them to work with TDU2? I'm not 100% sure if this would be okay, so this is why I am asking this. I have seen others use sounds from Forza games, but by the looks of it they are not ripped from other games and instead recorded with a recording software through the game.

As far as I can see, ripping sounds from other games and converting them to work with another is no different than making ripping a car 3D model from one game and converting it to work with this game. So it's not bad, but it's also not good doing this, but that's the whole point of properly crediting where the model or sound came from.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject, ripping sound mods from another game and converting them to work properly with another. Thanks in advance for your responses!

So basically, I cannot rip sounds that someone else made for a particular game, Assetto Corsa as an example, and convert them to another game. Does that apply if I have permission from the mod maker to use it?

But if it's a sound that is directly from Assetto Corsa and is made by the developers of the game, then I am good?

So basically, I cannot rip sounds that someone else made for a particular game, Assetto Corsa as an example, and convert them to another game. Does that apply if I have permission from the mod maker to use it?

But if it's a sound that is directly from Assetto Corsa and is made by the developers of the game, then I am good?

If you have a permission, then it's okay too

And yes, as mentioned, you're good when it's vanilla in the outgoing game

Okay, thank you for the response sir! I will be working on some sounds mods in the coming months, so be on the look out. ;)

Edit:

Also, if you're going to record audio from someones video to make a sound mod are you required to ask permission to use the audio from the video for your sound mod. Or does the "free use" policy apply in this case?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you can rip sounds from other games...

Nobody will care, unless the developers and owners of the sound come for you?

My suggestion

If you are developing sounds taken from another game and aren't releasing them, then that is ok!

If you are developing sounds with intent to release them? So what, a lot of people take sound off youtube and other places for their sound mods. This is copyright infringement.

Unless you start charging for these sounds then nobody will really care! You think EA will come down harshly on a bunch of TDU2 modders?

TDU2 don't even care about the DLC (hacking for the free dlc).... Honestly, just do what you want to do and give credit for the owners or ask for permission