We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TC2 Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Ryzza5

So, erm, there are a bunch of videos up now, and it looks like houses are a thing

[MEDIA=imgur]73yFNly[/MEDIA]

Feel free to share & discuss other learnings. As a chillax gamepad muck around title I think it should be fun with friends. I wouldn't be rushing to break out the wheel for it though, especially with planes and boats.

Graphically the game generally looks better than TC1 and it runs smoother on my system than it's predecessor. Unfortunately i can't say more about it at this moment (due to NDA-reasons). But from what i saw so far it looks more "unpersonal" (if i can say so). Every city looks nearly the same and most of the unique seights got vanished.

I'm also a little bit worried about how much content we will have at release. The released videos do not show more than i already know and the beta will be cut short by a lock to the first famelevel, which shows that it will be basically just a stresstest for the servers and not a profound preview to the final game. So for the final overview what's in the game we will have to wait until the end of june when the game is finally released.

From what i saw so far the game has it's enhancements compared to TC1 but also it's degradations - the white map, no odometer, no teleport everywhere, no tuners where you can buy performanceparts (at least i didn't saw them so far, just how you earn them by grinding), too tiny roads for smooth cruising or even fast racing. (I only hope that our feedback we gave during the tech-tests and the meeting with the devs in Lyon will produce at least some fruits. Until now i do not see anything we discussed there.)

Also there seem to be no red line in the story (if you can even call it a story). I fear the same issue i had in Forza Horizon 3. There i finished the showcases within 2 weeks without even touching 99% of the races, went up to level 500 and had about 400 cars after 4 weeks, which ended up in pretty soon boredom. Since then i only "worked" my way up to legendary painter to be able to sell rare cars for ridiculous prices and to collect enough money to buy all cars, but now i don't do more than driving the Goliath-race every now and then. I hope it wont be that way here.

Overall The Crew 2 looks to me like a clone of Forza Horizon and GTA and has nothing to do anymore with the original idea of The Crew, which is a little bit sad. Don't get me wrong, i already pre-ordered the "Motor Edition" when it came out, because this game will probably be the next meetingplace for my club, but i'm not that much excited about it as i like to be.

...I wouldn't be rushing to break out the wheel for it though, especially with planes and boats.

I will definitely drive the cars and boats with my wheel. The planestuff i will finish as soon as possible with a pad, just to get over it, as i'm not interested at all in them.

btw The beta starts on may 31st (and ends on june 4th).

Interesting take there, you've got me curious. I only tried it with a pad and was fairly happy with it. That said I haven't broken out the wheel for anything in ages, just don't play that seriously any more.

Up north heading out of Seattle it seemed that the nice twisty snowy roads have been replaced with ones with light turns and not much elevation (until you get a lot closer to Mt. Rushmore). But then the other day I saw a video with snow in LA, so maybe it's dynamic now? I hope they do add an option for the other map style (non-white) but I guess they feel the need to make things different for the sake of them being different. (You can still zoom into the map to view cars driving around).

I like how all kinds of vehicles have been added, not just cars, motorbikes, boats, planes but also things like a hovercraft and helicopter, there's probably an ATV (quad bike) as well. I wonder if anyone has suggested being able to quick-change to a motorbike?

Anyway I've been playing a bit of TC1 recently to unlock all those 18 extra cars in the sequel (knowing how expensive cars were in-game in the former title). Figured I'd visit all of the remaining landmarks and wreck parts while I was at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know The Crew 2 has a lot of different types of vehicles, but it still seems really expensive compared to the first title, especially when adding the Season Pass. Usually only Gran Turismo and Forza demanded such a high price for collector editions.

However, if you've completed a few Ubisoft games you may have a stack of 'Club Units' points which typically give you extra vehicles or paint jobs as rewards.

However I've just noticed that you can trade 100 of these points for a 20% discount at the Ubi Store, which will pretty cover the cost of upgrading your version from Standard to Deluxe, or Deluxe to Gold!

6dE6tyM.png

ewg1mrx.png

And it looks like you earn back 135 Club Units when purchasing through the Ubi store which can go back towards some bonus inside the game.

If you don't have enough Club Units you may be able to fire up some of your other Ubisoft games to quickly earn some more.

Will this discount convince you to preorder or the game (or preorder a better version if you were always going to get it)?

Don't forget that the Beta in running now for the next 4 days if you want to trial it. There is no NDA for sharing images or video this time so there will be plenty more YouTube videos covering gameplay.

I'll let you know, I've redeemed the points for a checkout coupon but will wait until after I try the latest demo, erm beta, just in case I find a reason to hold off.

One thing I haven't worked out yet is if there are police chases in this game at all. Some say it doesn't fit the 'legal racing' theme of this game.

While the game is miles better than the first, I still find it to fall a bit behind FH, for example. The map size and road variety is great, you can drive from LA to NY through an interstate or do it cross country, through mountains and deserts. But, the road size is overly wide, not than FH are narrow, but at least they feel much more natural than the wide lanes on The Crew.

The cars have now sounds and the driving, while still quite "on rails", feels much more better than the first game. I think it's a nice step down from the not-so-simulator that Horizon tries to be. Also, the graphics are great while not being spectacular, but the lighting is much improved as well as the weather effects and sunsets.

Planes are crap to fly, not that I was expecting much, but they are fun addition and also a great way to explore the map and to go from point A to point B.

So, all in all, I like it. Do I find it worth the full price on launch? Nope. Pretty sure I'll get it when the sales arrive (Which are not that far away).

One thing that I like is how road cars aren't completed neutered when driving off road or on gravel roads like they were in the first game. There are still various specs of vehicles, but at least for cruising it feels more natural.

In the beta at least, you can't fast-travel to any point on the map like you could in the past, which is a little annoying. A lot of the map is immediately accessible by jumping to events and then driving from there. Or you can fly to save a bit of time, but that's limited to around 250kph / 150mph in most of the (stock) planes I tried.

It's a game I would spend a bit more time with but I'm finding it hard to justify their asking price - it seems like they might be charging us now for future developments/enhancements (most of which we would expect to be paid expansion packs anyway, probably not even covered by the Season Pass).

The in-game vehicle prices still annoy me as well. The currency is severely inflated for lower-cost vehicles. i.e. supercars in the game may cost around 600,000 - 900,000 units, which is reasonable. But then most of the cheapest cars available are around 80,000 to 300,000. Even fast motorbikes (normally priced similar to basic hatchbacks) around around 300,000 - 400,000 units.

Oh yeah, the pricing is extremely "agressive", 200K for a Megane or 350K for an M4 is a bit too much. Same happened on the first game. In fact, I did most of it with the initial car on different specs, only after some time I was able to buy the M5 and the V8 Vantage (For which I used those credits you pay with real money that are given to you at the very beginning)

Map comparison

h5hFMNB.jpg

East coast/Miami land area seems different. Top of the west coast doesn't go as high.

If if you look top center the default snowy area is much smaller in TC2.

HRu0K76.jpg

Pf1Sar2.jpg

However as mentioned earlier the amount of snowier area might change dynamically - most of the map could be snowy last this year...

Old video from 2017 fades between both:

I've just noticed that you can trade 100 of these points for a 20% discount at the Ubi Store, which will pretty cover the cost of upgrading your version from Standard to Deluxe, or Deluxe to Gold!

6dE6tyM.png

And it looks like you earn back 135 Club Units when purchasing through the Ubi store which can go back towards some bonus inside the game.

Just purchased the Gold edition on PC and successfully got 20% off for 100 Ubi points. The purchase gave me another 100+ points so I can get 20% off a future purchase (or more likely some unique car variant in the game).