Welcome to the new TurboDuck ! Read more... ×

Looks promising, nice work.

[...]

But if someone finally makes something that can load a TDU or Horizon sized map, have multiplayer, along with car mods that have good physics, and make it not a nightmare for modders to add content, then to me that's pretty much a guaranteed success in the making.. even if its a small indie project.

Hi TDU Iceman,

100% Agree with you, but for the part that you asked for map modding, I have to say it is not possible at the moment and it is not planned for the project. That is because Unity's current terrain system for big cities is like a raw fish, you have to "bake" it before using it - sorry if you're a vegetarian didn't have a better example at the moment. The process of baking a terrain is only possible in the game engine itself. I'm interested how EuroTruck Sim handles the modded cities, I have never heard of adding a full working city to a game - except GTA, which in that case it is not a simple task.

Looks promising so far. I only gonna judge the physics model as it was your main target.

First of all, I got the feel the suspension is too soft. According to what is visible from the outside view and bonnet view. Feels a bit too GTA4ish to me personally. I'm pretty sure the suspension of a 4 series is way firmer than the one on a Corvette C3 :)

Second, which is bothering me even more, for some reason the whole driving feels really slow. Looking at the speedo you going 130 at 6k rpm feels like you are in first gear driving 30. Had the same feel with TDU. I don't know why.

There are some graphics aspecs I would concider fixing, but it's not the time to point that out as it's an Alpha :)

E: 250 km/h in this Peugeot? :D This must have been a twin turbo mega sleeper

Hey Zoqqer :D

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely take notes from it. However, There are important notes that I would like to tell:

• The Nurburgring scene is completely different and is not part of the game, literally everything except the physics. Therefore please don't review the graphics. The graphics of the project was shown in the video before this one.

• The cars were not 100% using the real-life values, the Peugeot car uses unrealistic values so that the video could look cool. I had the car - with its older Citroen-Peugeot engine - in real life, you can't go above 100 km/h with it...!

Now I comment on each of the points that you've mentioned.

1. You are right, the suspension looks too soft for the BMW. Because:
    1) I used arbitrary values - as I don't have the datasheets of the BMW suspension and I have never driven it in real life.
    2) I also cheated a little! I increased friction values - because I am a very bad driver :D - and more importantly, I used a pre-built camera script that I wrote for a firetruck, which caused the smooth movement illusion effect for the BMW scenes. Glad you noticed it!!
    I will fix it for the next time and I will use realistic suspension values once I could get their real values. I need the "K" and "delta" value of the spring suspension in order to fully simulate it in the project.

If anyone knows how could I get the suspension values (of any car) please enlight me!!.

2. That might be because of:
    1) the FOV (it is not wide angle when speeding),
    2) lack of motion blur (except one scene in the video, I forgot to add it to the other scenes!!),
    3) lack of camera and wheel shake at full rpm and also 4) lack of spicy fake noises.
    Other than that, the speed is simulated and it shows what the actual velocity is. I won't add fake camera vibrations as it is going to be VR at some point.

New video!

• Suspension softness is fixed using better arbitrary values, you can judge the car body movement by the camera movement.
  • Tire settings are refined
  • Added "GoPro-ish mode" and changed camera pos for better speed expression
  • A new type of shifting gears added so you can use clutch and gears with a keyboard. This is not recommended as you release the clutch, the car may kick. That is because, a key in keyboard is either 0 or 1 and when you release the clutch key, it acts as a clutch kick which also causes clutch disk damage in long-term. This mode is only for manual cars - exactly like the original TDU game.
  • I used a keyboard, obviously for testing the new shifting gears mode.

Dear GoPro may be you could be the sponsor... no? c'mon. :D

A new update to come next week Wednesday!

Working on a Lamborghini physics based on the following websites:

The problem is, Although these websites are detailed, they don't say anything about suspension spring rate or engine inertia or center differential specs or the other in-depth details. That means I have to watch Youtube reviews of cars so that I could use arbitrary values to mimic the realistic characteristics of the cars.

Some features including brake types, dual clutch transmissions and... are still not done.

1564927599_ATGNurburgringLamborghiniKishIslandSimulatorApplicationSoftwareIndieGameMadeWithUnityVideoGameHobbyDan.thumb.jpg.bdb09a428626a7aa16f51ccb4c664688.jpg

(Neither the Lambo nor the track is made by me, None of them will be included in the video game)

Edited by DΛN

Thanks to everyone who commented on the tweet.

TIMELESS said:
It's hard to comment on the physics with the go-pro mode, you really need to see the car moving around and how the suspension is moving and reacting to the environment. It would also help to get you a wheel to test with! lol

Thanks for commenting, Next video will have the 3rd person view just for this case. The video you talked about is mainly for the "GoPro mode".

Edited by DΛN

I wonder if one of the TurboDuck administrators or a very well-known TurboDuck member could open a "PayPal donation". That would be great.

UPDATE: This request is no longer valid, And there is no donation for this project.

Edited by DΛN

• The new video to come this Sunday!!
    • The video demonstrates how easy the final project could be modified by the community

• G-METER, Input debug and an additional camera added for physics showcase

• The video includes a new car (Lamborghini) as per community request

I think it would make sense to use a crowd-funding website so that the liability can be taken out of all our hands and the risk minimized due to the protections offered by such websites. I think people would be a lot more comfortable using the likes of Patreon than just sending money to a PayPal account that someone here owns.

[...] use a crowd-funding website [...] I think people would be a lot more comfortable using the likes of Patreon [...]

That is a good idea! The problem is, I can't access Patreon at the moment. I concluded I have to continue keeping this project as just a hobby.

To wrap it up:

• There are no donation pages or related services for this project.

• I won't treat the project as a serious project. There are no plans for releasing a beta version, currently.

Kind regards.

//New video!
  • What's New
    • You can see its current (temporary) physics engine in 3rd person view and it is with a wheel input
    • The GoPro mode now directly supported, This mode is added for better feeling the speed
    • Better graphics THIS IS NOT IMPORTANT AS THIS SCENE DOESN'T GRAPHICALLY SHOWS ATG: KISH.

Don't forget to check my previous post to see how easy modding the game is. I would be glad if you share your comment & support this project.

just curious, how did you get the voice
Thanks for your comment, at least someone commented something :D Anyway, I use this TTS service. Guess this is the best and most natural one.
Edited by DΛN

Will the dash on every car works? speedometer, odometer, g-meter and all that.

Yes, they all do, as long as the modders add them to the project. (G-Meter is like TDU1 and always is available)

Today I finished adding platform and tire simulation, they are GPU computed (Your graphics card simulates the physics of vehicle platforms instead of CPU, this way it will be much more optimized and performance-friendly) and it is 100% possible for modders to add their own custom 3D models of a platform to a modded car.

[MEDIA=twitter]912443704455188482[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]908754878729801729[/MEDIA]

New tire deformation demo, 100% GPU calculation lets the physics super optimized.

Real 3D Tire data will be used for tire friction soon.

Here's the demo:

[ATTACH=full]32329[/ATTACH]

Please consider "like", "retweet", "share" and support this project if possible.

Your engagement on this one and only official modders thread of the project is appreciated.

are you actually modeling out the roads or are you placing them down as splines in the engine? i still have no clue how to make environments the most effective

I did both modeling the roads and using the tools of the game engine. If you need help, ask and I'd be glad to talk about the technical stuff! :)

Edited by DΛN

Check out the project schedule of this indie passion project here.

Visiting the link above, you can explore and figure out the "ToDo list" of this video game project!

1354220926_ATGKishIslandDrivingCarVehicleSimulatorIndiePassionProjectVideoGameApplicationSoftwareMadeWithUnityToDoListScheduleTrello.gif.91d0e5b20ffb1ff1d389eb13e627b370.gif

The project's Instagram account here: https://www.instagram.com/ATG_simulator .

The project's Twitter account here: https://twitter.com/ATG_simulator .

A Facebook page is set up but it has not been published, yet. Its URL is https://fb.me/ATGsimulator .

For your information, I've planned to organize the social media pages but not soon.

Reminder: This Turboduck thread is the official modders thread and it will remain the official modders thread of the project forever.

Notice: The project will take a temporary break sometime soon as I have to do some work in real life, follow me and the project's social media for further information.

Edited by DΛN
The ToDo List has been added to the post.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.