We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Old car mods from TDU-central

SneakiestDuke68

My congratulation, TDU Zoqqer, for becoming a moderator here. 🙂

Are there any more details, what kind of mod database you intend to start?
What about those tons of mods, where their creators will never be find again, like the ones by Combat, Tool831 or Reventon09 for example, to get their permission to republish?
Would you like to host those mods too for all the people looking for them, and never would find anywhere otherwise?
I mean just a single list of all mods (vehicles, rims, sounds, ...) ever made won't help anybody in real, I think.

@SneakiestDuke68: As a tip you could search at "playground.ru" for example. They still have alot of mods hosted, even without permission for sure.

2 minutes ago, MagicV8 said:

My congratulation, TDU Zoqqer, for becoming a moderator here. 🙂

Are there any more details, what kind of mod database you intend to start?
What about those tons of mods, where their creators will never be find again, like the ones by Combat, Tool831 or Reventon09 for example, to get their permission to republish?
Would you like to host those mods too for all the people looking for them, and never would find anywhere otherwise?
I mean just a single list of all mods (vehicles, rims, sounds, ...) ever made won't help anybody in real, I think.

@SneakiestDuke68: As a tip you could search at "playground.ru" for example. They still have alot of mods hosted, even without permission for sure.

Thanks!

It's purely for recent mods. We won't share any mods without authours permission, meaning old mods will most likely not be on here.

It's a download database, not a show-off database of every mod ever. The mods you see on the download section can be downloaded.

13 minutes ago, Diablo said:

I think what we can do is, if the OP is no longer active, and one of us has the mod, we can login as that user (admin permission) and upload mod to download section

not sure if that would anger the OP, let's have a discussion

That idea isn't that bad, the problem is, that most links are just dead. 😉

In my opinion, if the OP is no longer reachable, what could he/she have against republishing. In real who could care about, even if that's not the finest art, of course? But in general, a republishing would help so many people.

Don't get me wrong, please, if the modder is still available, he/she must be asked of course, but with dead mods, for years?

The reason, why I ask so persevering is, that I really have about 95% of all non-private TDU1/2 mods.

Even Milli asks me from time to time for some mods. What is, if I must tell her, sorry m8, you won't get it, make your Platinum mod (much) smaller.
I guess that would be a shock for all those fans awaiting Platinum mod, wouldn't it?

Edited by MagicV8

8 minutes ago, MagicV8 said:

Even Milli asks me from time to time for some mods. What is, if I must tell her, sorry m8, you won't get it, make your Platinum mod (much) smaller.
I guess that would be a shock for all those fans awaiting Platinum mod, wouldn't it?

giphy.gif

Shhhhh! Don't say it out loud, people will figure it out about our secret. Lol 

Okay, sorry, I answered the question for all the forums by my own, shouldn't do that. I apologize.

Since it's open for discussion though, I am against uploading mods without authors permission, since I can put myself in their situation.

I also removed my own mods >FOR A REASON<, so I don't want my mods to be reuploaded aswell. Since I am still active on the forums, I can keep my mods removed if that happens, or at least complain and get it removed by somebody. But people like tool or combat won't be able to defend themselfes since they are gone by now. If they mind or not, is a different story.

And no, in theory I am also not 100% keen with my mods being in the Platinum Pack, but since it's a community project and my mods are not uploaded per-file, I can live with that.

My standpoint is:

When I would log off from a website and discontinue my mods, I couldn't care less if I am linked or not, when I don't want my mods to be online in the first place. But that's just my opinion, I am against that. Although when I am alone with that, then feel free to reupload.

🤣🤣🤣

Ontopic though, i don't see a problem of re-upload of ancient mods that can be found in other websites.  

And about your mods Zoqqer, it's a different matter because you're still here and we can hear directly from you, i wonder about the mods that we can't get in touch with the creator, what should we do? For ex: Tool381.

Edit: And Combat, has left all the links in a single post, like this one: 

So, would be a matter of just re-organize these. 

But people like tool or combat won't be able to defend themselfes since they are gone by now. If they mind or not, is a different story.

When I would log off from a website and discontinue my mods, I couldn't care less if I am linked or not, when I don't want my mods to be online in the first place.

Maybe I think like that since I have a very strict and organized surroundings at work and friends, but like said, that's my standpoint: A definite yes is only when it's a definite yes and not assumed.

TDU Zoqqer, of course I get your point about your mods, and accept it, like Milli said.

But if you do like you said first, for good reason of course, it will become like I said before, ... a couple of mods will be left at the forums download section.
So you could also save the work.

Just another point, even if it is not correct, that a couple of websites are publishing (old) mods without permission.
What would happen, if all those "illegal" mod hostings wouldn't be there?
Do you think there would be anybody still interested in TDU for so long time?
I guess for sure not, TDU would be dead several years ago.

But ok, I am not the chief here. I just told my point of view.
Peace. 🤗

Idea:
Hm, perhaps it's the right time for a general ethic agreement of all modders over all games.

29 minutes ago, TDUZoqqer said:

I perfer morals over convinience. 🙂

Not sure if i agree with this statement entirely. Mostly because we could debate what it moral and convenience in this matter and what is not.  Are we taking into consideration only the modders? Are we taking into consideration the case of most 3D people who worked to make these cars for another game that got ripped off and uploaded as raw 3D models and textures? Are we taking into consideration the fact that actually mod the game is something that the original creators of the game didn't want to, since we needed Djey to actually make TDU modding possible by making the Magic Map file?
But that's an old debate, and it could be extended a whole lot more. 

As for my opinion on the Mod section planned, i think that we should try to get in touch with the most modders we can find, via email or whatnot and ask if they give us the permition to re-upload. Those who give us an answer, we accept and do as they wish, but those who we can't get in touch with, and the mod is at least 5 years old... i don't really see a problem.

27 minutes ago, Milli said:

Not sure if i agree with this statement entirely. Mostly because we could debate what it moral and convenience in this matter and what is not.  Are we taking into consideration only the modders? Are we taking into consideration the case of most 3D people who worked to make these cars for another game that got ripped off and uploaded as raw 3D models and textures? Are we taking into consideration the fact that actually mod the game is something that the original creators of the game didn't want to, since we needed Djey to actually make TDU modding possible by making the Magic Map file?
But that's an old debate, and it could be extended a whole lot more.

I have a very clear border about where my personal moral ends, and it's actually pretty simple to determine.

Was the creator of the mod / 3D model / textures paid for his work?

If yes:

(assets from games and purchased models from 3D-shops)

it's fine to convert it. (FOR NON COMMERCIAL USE, eg mods)

If not:

(it's a mod, a remodeled asset, or completely scratch made as your own private project)

it's not okay to rip it.

Money rules the world.

Perhaps it possible (and nearly ethical) to have multiple classes here:

* Promoted mods (threads) from the authors who want the credit (and have working links)
* A large, somewhat unrefined archive/collection of old TDU mod files from our collective HDDs with no credit, fancy images, or installation support.   Not designed as a "pack" but more-or-less as a 'data dump'.  tduck's approach wouldn't be to promote them but say "hey here's a bunch of old mod files we found, maybe they will work if you download a copy."

We could also do our best to contact some of the old modders and let them know what we want to do.  If they object then that's fine; if we hear nothing back then we'll proceed.  If they come back later then we can follow their wishes.  This is just an idea only.

I've uploaded free stuff to the Internet before.  And there was a time when I tried to ask some communities to remove their copy of the files (as I only wanted them in one place where I could release updates and remove old versions). I was happy that most people I wrote to, while disappointed, were happy to comply.  But at the same time I knew that once you put something on the Internet, you're unlikely to be able to remove all traces of it.

I support creating central database of mods by re-uploading, and the points discussed above

I believe a lot of bounce rate (people who visit here through search engine or other method, and leave within few seconds) is due to not being able to find mods,

so by adding content, and those content getting indexed by search engine, will help tduck survive

just little more context, here you can see i am uploading a mod as @Milli , this way credit still goes to the mod creator

note: you can host multiple download sources in our download section

20190206193016.png

1 hour ago, TDUZoqqer said:

I have a very clear border about where my personal moral ends, and it's actually pretty simple to determine.
Was the creator of the mod / 3D model / textures paid for his work?

If yes: (assets from games and purchased models from 3D-shops)

it's fine to convert it. (FOR NON COMMERCIAL USE, eg mods)

If not: (it's a mod, a remodeled asset, or completely scratch made as your own private project)

it's not okay to rip it.

Money rules the world.

As i said, old debate that's not really the point.  I can clearly understand that "moral" about opening and ripping models, but that's not the topic, nobody here is talking about opening a mod, re-working a mod or re-uploading it as their own. Just to make old mods, that once could be downloadable here, dowloadable again. 

The major question is, how we do that? What is the best way to achieve it?  Contacting modders? Doing it regardless? 

1 hour ago, Ryzza5 said:

We could also do our best to contact some of the old modders and let them know what we want to do.  If they object then that's fine; if we hear nothing back then we'll proceed.  If they come back later then we can follow their wishes.  This is just an idea only.

And this is what i said, but with a better choice of words. Do anyone have a problem with this approach? If so, what do you suggest?