We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Routers modems...whats it all mean?!

right basically for the past... ooh...2 years i reckon, i've been playing TDU with a, lets be honest, crap internet connection. so.... i'm thinking "hmm maybe its time to get it sorted once and for all"

basically the problem is this.

when playing TDU the game runs fine, not much lag, and tbh i'm usually quite happy cruising by myself listening to some music or something. BUT... when i do want to cruise with friends, i find it annyoing to say the least that i can connect to only one of them with a RED connection i.e. Good... the other 6 players are in white text i.e. Bad....

i have a Huawei SmartAX MT882 modem and a Belkin wireless router.... the belkin thing i reckon is flawless tbh... never let me down so far. the problem is with the MT882, supplied "lovingly" by TalkTalk....(*cough* yes i know but its dad who pays the bills so its dads choice which service we're on...even though i use it 10x more than him and know pretty much every problem inside out)

so my question is this.... what setups do those of you who have really good connections i.e. 7 other players in RED, have? i think i can persuade my dad to buy almost anything from a computer shop so name the products you're using as this will help me out immensely.

i want details, nitty gritty please. i want to be able to march into a computer shop and say "i want this" and have the whole thing sorted completely.....basically i don't want any more hassle...a few niggles with setup is fine but not the problems i have atm.

thanks in advance. Ringo

PS: sorry for the novel... but hey..i've gotta be good at writing somewhere... B grade in english....tho i'm not sure how... :confused:

TalkTalk would be the problem there aswell as the modem.

Go buy a new modem and then if that dont help its defiantly the service provider. I have had no problems myself with any belkin product.

Unless u have not port forward ports on the belkin hub but you most probs have.

I'd suggest you get a non-NAT netgear router.

I once had a HomoHub and I had the same problems as you. I (up)Downgraded to a Voyager220v and all of the problems disappeared. Those who are in a server in white is their fault, not the router's.

Good luck in finding a suitable replacement

I use an Asus RX3041 router (http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=WmAxz5CzACn2JKpi&content=specifications). I play TDU from august 2008 and for the first month I didn't see more than one player with good connection... The rest of them were all white and having that broken connection sign in front of their names. And all of this time I thought that is because I have a crappy network. But after a month, tired to play that way, I've tried to open some ports in the NAT/Port mapping section of the router (ports to be open are available in the game's User Manual); only maximum 3 ports have to be opened from the list in the manual. In my case I've opened up ports 8889-TCP, 17475-TCP/UDP and 9961-TCP/UDP. Since then I always see all players perfect (there are some times when I see them white but not broken connection).