We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Transfering data

Beav

I just recieved my data transfer kit. I plug it in via the rear usb port on my xbox and plug my 60GB HDD in whilst my 20GB HDD is on the XBOX itself. I put the CD in and it says "mixed media" and wont allow me to select "A". Can I transfer the data from the 20GB HDD to the 60GB HDD via pc?

~Thank you

No, You have to do it via the console. I encountered the "Mixed Media Disc" issue when upgrading the firmware to allow me to use my WiFi N Adapter. Fortunately in that instance a prior dashboard update had already done the necessary updates.

I would recommend launching the 360 as normal but with the Disc in the drive, plugging the new HDD in later. The transfer kit should have come with instructions which I recommend following before taking any advice given to you by me or others.

Sounds like the 360 is refusing to see the disc as an X360 install disc, which is worrying and if my experience is anything to go by a wide spread issue.

I recommend heading to the official forums for help, this is what I was considering doing before I realised that my 360 was already prepped for the N band.

People go on about using the PC but when I did it (about 10 months ago) I went from HDD to HDD as described below; Taken from the M$ Support site.

-

To Transfer Content from an Existing Xbox 360 20GB Hard Drive to your new Xbox 360 Elite console 120 GB Hard Drive

1. Turn off both of your consoles and remove the 120GB hard drive from your Xbox 360 Elite console as described in the Xbox 360 Setup manual (Volume 1).

2. Attach your 20GB hard drive to your Xbox 360 Elite console, and then disconnect all accessories from the console's controller ports.

3. Connect and turn on a controller, which you'll need during content transfer.

4. Connect one end of the transfer cable to your 120GB hard drive.

5. Connect the other end of the transfer cable to the rear USB port of your Xbox 360 Elite console.

IMPORTANT

Be sure to connect the transfer cable to the back port, not a port on the front of the console.

Connect USB cable to the back of console.

6. Insert the included Hard Drive Transfer Disc and follow the on-screen instructions.

To begin using your 120GB hard drive after content transfer is complete, remove your 20GB hard drive from your Elite console and attach your 120GB hard drive as instructed in the Xbox 360 Setup manual (Volume 1).

IMPORTANT

The transfer cable connects to the 120GB hard drive in only one orientation. Do not force the connector on. Connect the cable in the orientation shown.

Hard drive and connector cable.

NOTES

* Depending on the amount of content to be moved, the transfer process can take more than an hour.

* The Xbox 360 Hard Drive transfer cable is not a PC accessory. It is intended only for connecting the Xbox 360 20GB or Xbox 360 120GB Hard Drive to an Xbox 360 console for data transfer. Damage to your PC or other USB device could occur if you connect the transfer cable to such devices. The cable functions only when used with the supplied transfer software.

* The transfer cable is intended only for transferring data from your old hard drive to your new hard drive through your console. It is not intended for long-term connection to your console, nor is it intended for use with any other USB host or device. Dispose of the cable in accordance with the Disposal of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment guidelines in your Xbox 360 Warranty manual (Volume 2).

* The Xbox Guide is not available during content transfer.

* If the transfer is interrupted for any reason, your content will remain on your existing 20-GB hard drive. You can restart the transfer process at any time prior to completion.

* Once you have transferred the contents of your original hard drive to your 120-GB hard drive, you will not be able to move files from one hard drive to another.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm

A more in depth description is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937279

Don't tell them that. Simply say you have an issue with transferring data and tell them about the Disc not reading correctly. If they ask questions act naive and say the new HDD was a present or something, don't mention Ebay though. ;)

The problem he has is that he bought a transfer kit that is not made by microsoft and the disc is not supported by the xbox 360....

Basically the disc he/you own is made solely for use on a pc so you can copy the data and then paste it to the new drive.

People be careful buying stuff on ebay, it may not be offical.

your best bet just use the computer way however it wont copy downloads codes over, so all (if any available) downloadable content will be unusable.

Enjoy ;)

The problem he has is that he bought a transfer kit that is not made by microsoft and the disc is not supported by the xbox 360....

I'd usually back you up on this but when I put in my update disc for the WiFi it did exactly the same thing, and that was official M$.