We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Can't create save game so can't start the game

T0b3r

Hi,

I guess the first info I need to give is the method I am using to play the game: Windows 7 Pro on an Hp Elitebook 8760W with RAM expanded to 24Gb, it's the i72820QM CPU 2.3Ghz versoin & I can run AUTOCAD, Fusion 3D, Photoshop CS5, Adobe Elements & video editing software just fine so it's not a hardware issue I have, Windows 7 may have a part to play -but the game should have been written to accommodate the O/S.

I have done a fair bit of reading on this and also been one of the unfortunate people who thought they could get support from Atari. Sadly Atari have given me no help or information of substance & simply made me very :mad:

As it turns out the save game file needs to be in the standard windows default location -which is nuts because I don't know anybody with an ounce of PC savy in their blood who would have a PC set up this way. In my case I have a 100Gb SSHDD for my O/S & a 700Gb standard HDD for storage, I don't have space for My Docs to be on C:\. However I have set this to be the default location anyway by the means on the properties for the documents "Library" by setting the default save location and also editing the registry for "currrent_user\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" -the personal key to read "C:\Users\username\My Documents (& just Documents) but neither attempt has let the game create a save game folder. I might need to point out that I had to look at the registry key because the "location" tab does not show in the properties of my documents. I am fairly sure that the reason I can't:

• Change video settings & have them save
  • Buy the first car without the game crashing

All comes down the the savegame file being written but I can't work out how to allow the game to create this file.

By now I am as frustrated as I have ever been with regards to any of the hundreds of sets of software I have run, let alone a bloody game, I just can't believe that a developer would restrict the save data to such a specific location, maybe the same drive but even if I install the game to another drive it does not solve the issue (I am on fresh install #4 now).

Has anybody else had the same issue & figured out the solution (& maybe how to re-instate the location tab to the my docs properties)?

Thanks in advance for any further help to an issue that I do realise has been brought up in the simple light of players not being able to buy the first car.

T0b3r.

---------- Post added 04/10/12 at 00:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 03/10/12 at 23:30 PM ----------

As it turns out there are 2 registry keys to edit to solve the problem I had:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders322756

Both keys need to point to C:\Users\%your user name%

Now I can actually log in & try the game out -BUT I can't find any save game file on C:\ OR D:\ even thought I now go to stage 2 in the game...

I should have mentioned that this is for TDU2, I had TDU1 installed on Z:\ & My docs in D:\ for TDU1 but it wouldn't work for TDU2. The My Docs folder on C:\ is (now) the default save location thanks to my registry edit and I have had to install the game to C:\ as well.

Worked fine for me when I beta tested TDU2 with my folder setup. Think you've just been mucking around with your system a bit too much :)

Beta is Beta, try the actual released game & let me know how you get along, I would be interested to know how you manage with separate folders... I muck about with software for a living, not my system, the system manages around 260 programs fine right now but TDU2 was a female dog for me...