We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Stupid n00b PS3 Questions ...

Iced_Bullet

What is the HDD used for? Surely save games dont fill 20gb and 120gb? So what's the HDD space for? Music? Films?

I'm only asking becasue Google hasn't been helpful and Primary is look at them because both our PS2s have now broken.

Also, I know they have backwards capability for PS2 games, but how reliable is it? Most games?

Thanks - Iced.

Everything basically, demo's can be upto 1gb+ and so can DLC. They also want you to purchase games online from Home rather than from shops. Music vids, music, films. Data from the games this can be between a couple of KB to MB to even 1GB. Then theres the system files and iirc you can run the game from the hdd or install parts to the hdd to make it run faster and have shorter or no loading times.

If you have a back compatable one theres also your PS1 and PS2 data to have. PS1 games I think can be downloaded now (or is that for the PSP?? cant remember).

They keep adding all the time Sony and M$ are gonner try and keep out doing each other HDD wise. Sony brought out a 60gb so M$ brought out a 120GB so now Sony have done a 160GB. Its a HDD war aswell.

Hmm, according this this - http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/specs - all 3 (40, 60 & 80) are backward compatible, but then this is the US site, I couldnt find a UK or EU specs page ...

So, which would be best for a person who will play a lot of PS2 games and maybe have a few demos and a few of the latest PS3 games and a few albums put on there??

No movies I don't think. He's got his PC if he does need to play video / film files ... Plus his 19" PC screen is better than his 15" CRT :p

Well 60gb was the only EU one with back compatability and they stopped making them before Xmas with the last being sold in Jan/Feb. 80gb have never been officially sold here as far as I know and 40gb took over from the 20gb as being the basic version.

So atm he is still limited to a 40gb unless he waits for the 120gb and hopes it has back compatability. Or get a 40gb and a new ps2 for £70.

Also with a back compatability one, he'll need to get a PS2 data transfer kit so that they data is on the HDD not memory crad. Trouble is they where sold last year for about £20 on play.com and is hong kong but where never released for sale in Game etc and have also stopped being sold now. this also makes me think there wont be another back compatability made for the UK/EU market.

Also the reason why we don't have back compat is due to cost cutting to bring them here quicker iirc.

I'm affraid so, tbh if he still wants to play them get a new PS2 there only £70 and iirc only £80 with a games bundle, might be worth looking into.

Also I just done a quick search on google for "EU PS3 backwards compatibility" and it comes up with a load of articles from early 2007 stating that the EU PS3 is designed differently to the U.S. and Jap versions meaning limited back compatability. This has something to with them not putting chips in and stuff being done through firmware updates.

But with the lack of transfer for your data aswell it doesn't look like ps3 will play ps1 or ps2 games.

Edit:

Found this

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/games/detail/item82567/Playable-Software-for-PLAYSTATION-3/

Most PS1 games can be played through Emulators but PS2 games are a no no unless you have a 60GB

Yer I don't have one so don't know a lot but when it came out they said any can play PS1 games becouse thats a bit of software but backwards capatibility to PS2 games need a piece of hardware and these are not put onto the 40GB PS3's.

Surly a secoundhand PS2 from gamestation or somthing will be very cheap. Less than £70 anyway becouse thats quite steep for an old console.

EDIT: Seen CEX.co.uk (slightly strange googleing that) sell a secound hand PS2 for £45 and a slimline for £55, not that much of a saving really.