We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Jaguar XFR - DO WANT.

Speedtouch

The latest car from Jaguar. And I do believe the phrase DO WANT describes it perfectly.

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

w/ new Jag XKR

In order to play at this level Jaguar has provided a potent engine for the XF-R in the form of a 5.0-litre V8 with a whirling supercharger plugged into it plus an uprated 6-speed automatic gearbox. The engine produces 510hp (380kW) and 625Nm. In comparison the previous generation S Type R, the XF-R's spiritual predecessor, made 399hp (298kW) from its 4.2-litre supercharged motor. For this power the XF-R gives back a 0 - 60mph time of 4.7 seconds. Jaguar also did a 0 - 100km/h (62 mph) run which came back as 4.9 seconds on the clock. A combined fuel economy of 12.5l/100km (18.8mpg US) is stated by Jaguar.

In terms of specification Jaguar did not skimp on features for their new top-of-the-range XF. Wheels are 20-inch alloys coupled with larger ventilated disc brakes. A new body kit featuring wider side skirts and a bonnet with louvers gives the car a more purposeful stance even when standing still. There's a new front end with a shiny upper mesh grille and a black lower mesh grille. The XF-R also has a new rear spoiler and four round tailpipes. The "R" moniker placed on the four brake calipers as well as the rear end makes it clear where this car stands in the Jaguar hierarchy.

Interior comes with soft grain leather as standard, adjustable sports seats and a dark chequered aluminium trim on the dash. The "R" is also seen just above the glove box and at the bottom of the steering wheel. The XF-R will come with a choice of eight exterior colours including one called Salsa.

However, that is still not the best bit...

Meet the fastest Jag in the history of Jags – the XFR. Yep, the car you could have on your driveway later this year is a car that’ll do 225mph. You read that right: 225mph.

That’s what it did in the hands of Paul Gentilozzi at Bonneville last year, in a secret attack on the famous salt flats. Slipping under the media radar, Jag gave the car to Gentilozzi and his Rocketsports firm (who have won several Trans-Am and a Daytona 24-hour titles in a racing XKR), and said “go play”.

Which is exactly what they did. Taking a production XFR and only tweaking it slightly – fitting a dirty great wing, remapping the ECU and removing the catalytic converters to push power to 600bhp – Gentilozzi and his team took just nine runs to achieve the speed. That was on standard road tyres, too.

The previous fastest road-going Jag was the XJ220, driven by Martin Brundle around Nardo’s high-speed bowl in 1992. He did 217mph (equivalent to 223mph on a straight road).

Gentilozzi was keen to break that, and despite Bonneville being flooded in places, he carved out a course (albeit a slightly curvy one to avoid the standing water) and went for it – with 225.765mph coming on the first run of his second day on the Flats. But he might have gone quicker, if he hadn’t got sideways at 200mph…

And luckily, they filmed the whole thing...

I believe there is only one phrase usable for this car.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD DO WANT.

I know this is a repost, but I think a car like this deserves its own thread. Everyone expected it to be fast, yes, but faster than the XJ220? I don't think anyone did... :O

Yes I very very want!

The video of the speed run was awesome. Nice editing and a fitting soundtrack. The filters they used on the cameras are very cliche'd, but then that's why everyone uses them right? They look great.

On the other hand, one bit of the design that i hate is the rear bumper. Too much empty space between the bootlid and diffuser (if there is one). Spoils the proportions of the rear end...