We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

JSGME - for less PIA when installing mods

toratoratora

I recently downloaded a lot of sound mods for TDU and found myself tired of manually backing up original files and copying new ones. But there is easy solution for this: a little software which I know very well from modding Silent Hunter games (the community there is using it since ~2005 or 06) called Generic Mod Enabler. You install it into TDU main folder and it will activate mods and backup original files for you. It works with any mod that just replaces game files with its own files, it wont work if , for example, a mod need to add some lines to some ini file - but as far as I know there is no such mods for TDU yet.

You just need to put your mod into correct folder structure and paste it into MODS folder created by JSGME in TDU directory.

So:

1. Install JSGME into [your path]\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited, so JSGME.exe will be in the same place as TestDriveUnlimited.exe

2. First time you run it it will create MODS folder where you will put all your mods

3. Prepare your mod to be "JSGME ready": the mods folder structure need to be exactly the same as original files folder structure; if your mod is a sound mod for Zonda then it will replace a file in Euro\Bnk\Sound\Vehicules directory, so your mod needs to be placed in the same folder structure: Zonda sound(ie. mods name)\Euro\Bnk\Sound\Vehicules\Zonda_Rst_audio.bnk and than move it to MODS folder in TDU directory

4. Run JSGME, it will display all mods it found in MODS folder; now you can activate your mod or mods (if many). Original files will be put into backup hidden folder in MODS dir.

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

Just remember two things:

-double check that your mods has correct folder structure to ensure your mod will be placed in right place

- when uninstalling mods make sure you start with newest installed first (last on JSGME activated mods list) - this way you will be sure that your game files will be correctly restored.

I hope it will help those people here who are modifying TDU a lot. It saved me a lot of time, so I could play more than just copying and pasting one sound or vehicle file at a time.

Good luck!

Link: JSGME