We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Freezing on 'Welcome' screen

Jazzi

Hey guys, I've posted this up in a few places because me and Spongie are at a complete loss as to what's happened. We're thinking it might be a graphics card issue, but lets see if anyone here has an answer...

2 days ago I was playing The Sims 3 on the PC while Spongie was at work, which is what I usually do once I've cleaned the house. It was all working fine from about 2pm until he got home at about 7pm, at which time I put on our dinner. When I got back to the PC I had noticed it had frozen completely. I had previously quit The Sims and was just on the desktop screen. I restarted it, and it froze on the 'Welcome' screen on Windows 7.

I've checked for similar things on Google and most of them all had a fresh install of Win7, or some other new hardware previous to the freezing, but this isn't the case for us. The last time we installed Win7 was when Spongie bought an SSD for the primary drive (about 3 months ago). And the latest hardware bought was the Asus GTX460 768MB (This one) which was just over 2 months ago.

As I said, we're at a complete loss as to what's gone wrong, as there weren't any symptoms prior to the freezing. Also, It's booting up fine in Safe Mode. We've tried restoring it to a previous time, this helped a little, but it froze just as the screen dims after the 'Welcome' part.

We've updated the graphics drivers, and it was working fine yesterday. But he's just switched it on, left it for 15 minutes, and its frozen up again. Same issue as before. We've cleaned it up using CCleaner, defragged it and checked any error dump files (I think he did anyway). Nothing at all is showing up! And its back to freezing on the 'Welcome' screen once more.

So please, please, please. If any of you are still reading this can someone please point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance.

System Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

Motherboard: Gateway TBGM01

Memory: 4GB Corsair 1066mhz DDR3, 7-5-5-15

HDD(s: 64Gb SSD, 2x 500GB + 1x 620GB

Video Card: Asus nVidia GeForce GTX460 OC

Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Nevermind actually, the problem was the graphics card. Just put in the old GTX275XXX and it works seamlessly. Contacted Overclockers and we'll see what happens.

:hello:

Do you still have the install disc or files lying around anywhere?

If you boot up with that there should be an option to repair Windows, it'll keep all of your files and settings. It sounds like it could be a corrupt system file that isn't needed during safe mode that's causing this.