We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

guitar hero

mclaren8080

What system have you got it on 360 or PS2?

I've got it on both and got GH1 on PS2 and getting rock the 80's on PS2 when it comes out and GH3 and Rock Band which will have drums guitar bass and mic attatcments for it.

Anyways I thjink the game is brilliant and its the only way I'm gonna be able to play freebird infront of an audience at Stonehenge or play Sweet Child of Mine solo perfect.

What level do you play on?? I'm Stuck on the last tier of hard and the 3rd teir of Expert completed amatur and easy.

My brother has the original on PS2. A bunch of us played it at Christmas. It was very, very cool indeed, but it has one problem.

Props to Activision for their courage in making it hard at the highest levels, but it does mean that you have to start really practicing. Then it stops becoming fun and starts feeling like the effort involved in learning a real instrument.

And if that happens, hell, you might as well spend the time actually learning to play the real thing.

Incidentally, I've been watching this "Seven Ages of Rock" program on the BBC, and am seriously thinking about getting myself an electric guitar. Next week, you never know, I could be the next Jimi Hendrix. :D

-Props to Activision for their courage in making it.

Incidentally, I've been watching this "Seven Ages of Rock" program on the BBC, and am seriously thinking about getting myself an electric guitar. Next week, you never know, I could be the next Jimi Hendrix. :D

Activision have just aquired Red Octane but they where not involved in making guitar hero 1 or 2 but i think they where involved in the porting of GH2 to 360. Harmonix where the ones how made the game with Red octane but have now left and joined EA to make Rock Band, and Red Octane and Activision making GH3 and rock the 80's.

Seven ages of rock is a brilliant program I have watched all of them so far and it is a very good program.

I've been thinking about getting a guitar for ages but when I go round my mates and play his I relise why I haven't as I can only play the 1st 8 notes to stairway to heaven and the intro to Korn BLind, I do alot better on bass but still haven't got around to buying one yet as GH fits the bill perfectly as I can pick it up play the songs but as you say when you get onto the harder levels like playing a real guitar as you have to practise them and it becomes is a bit of a chore as they are not always songs I would choose to play.

it becomes is a bit of a chore as they are not always songs I would choose to play.
I think that's why I never progressed on the keyboard. The songs were too boring. I should have spent some time hunting down some music for stuff I like. When I think about the music I like that's actually played by human beings, though, it's guitar music rather than keyboard stuff. So maybe a guitar is the thing for me.

Even so, I think you've got to put the effort in to find the music scores that you enjoy. What's the point learning to play music unless it's music you enjoy?

I'm off to find some Knopfler riffs......

Edit: P.S. sorry for going OT. Guitar hero is great.

i got ti for ps2. is that true about 3. dums and bass attachment. is it gonna come out for ps2. or only for the next gen models.

like a said. ive had ot for like 3 days now. im doing the first few songs on hard like shout at the devil and songs like that. ive mastered med. and easy. i wont even try it on expert yet.

i got ti for ps2. is that true about 3. dums and bass attachment. is it gonna come out for ps2. or only for the next gen models.

like a said. ive had ot for like 3 days now. im doing the first few songs on hard like shout at the devil and songs like that. ive mastered med. and easy. i wont even try it on expert yet.

No there are two games due in november:

GH3 = Guitar only made by Red Octane and Activision

Rock Band = Guitar, Base, Drums, Mic made by Harmonix and EA.

No there are two games due in november:

GH3 = Guitar only made by Red Octane and Activision

Rock Band = Guitar, Base, Drums, Mic made by Harmonix and EA.

Sorry for being picky, but its Bass, not Base. I play Bass and just get a bit touchy about people spelling it wrong.

Anyway, i dont really see the thrill about GH, As far as i see it its a dance-mat that you hold. its basically the same concept no?

oh, okay. thanks for tellin me. what systems will they be on. do u know

Both will be on 360 and PS3.

Sorry for being picky, but its Bass, not Base. I play Bass and just get a bit touchy about people spelling it wrong.

Anyway, i dont really see the thrill about GH, As far as i see it its a dance-mat that you hold. its basically the same concept no?

Thats ok, can't beleive I made that mistake as I used to play my mates bass quite a few years back and was getting quite good but made the fatel error of learning with a pick instead of using my fingers. Anyways the reason I stopped learning was that my mate got the ass one night and smashed his bass to pieces but I have never got round to getting my own, luckily it was only one of them Argos bass sets and nothing good.

Your basically right about GH being a hand held dance mat but at the moment it is the only way I can play alot of the songs I like without learning/buying a real guitar, even though that would have probably been cheaper.

Not if you want a decent beginners setup. Remember that if you want an electric guitar, you need an amp too. (No, you don't want to use your HiFi).

when i got my first guitar beginner set up it only cost me 100$. it came with one of thiose pocket amps, the guitar of-course, strings, 3 picks and learning book and dvd. thise is 30 dollers more than the one player gh pack, 20 less then the multiplayr pack and 80 less then the multiplayer wirless pack. i have th mulitplayer wireless pack.

Not if you want a decent beginners setup. Remember that if you want an electric guitar, you need an amp too. (No, you don't want to use your HiFi).

Well as I've got 3 versions of GH its cost me about £150 and a Squire Strat set from Argos for about £150ish with a 10amp Fender amp, but you are right a decent set up could cost thousands especially the guitars and stacks i like.

dont be snobbish about names whatever you do. many japanese/korean guitars are just as good as the guitars they look like, often better. the cheapo fenders you see arent infact fenders. they are Squire fenders, basically squire used to be a very good immitator of fenders, so fender bought them. Ebay are good for guitars, but be sure to reference the review here: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar#manufacturer

dont be snobbish about names whatever you do. many japanese/korean guitars are just as good as the guitars they look like, often better. the cheapo fenders you see arent infact fenders. they are Squire fenders, basically squire used to be a very good immitator of fenders, so fender bought them. Ebay are good for guitars, but be sure to reference the review here: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar#manufacturer

I'm not being snobbish about names, I'm just saying for the price of all the GH's I bought I could have got myself that set from argos that is cheap compared to other makes and bundles you can get.

There is 3 different types/branches of Fender, theres the US., which are the most expensive, Mexican, which is now the middle price range and now Jap Fenders which are the cheapest you can tell the differnce by the code on the head of the guitar, and as you say there is also Squire which Fender own but put Squire on the head.

I totaly agree with you that the immitation/cheaper makes are good my mate has an Aria (not sure if spelt that right) strat nothing wrong with it at all, anothers got replica Les Pual (not an Epiphone but another imitation make) and they good guitar but with guitars its the same as anything, the more money you pay the more you start paying for the name rather than what you get.

damn right, my first bass was a cheapish hohner immitation of a Fender precision bass. Sounded just as good as the real thing after i tweaked the pick ups, although it was still a rather bad quality wood, so i now have a Guild De Armond jet star. which although sounds rather similar feels better finished and looks a damn sight better :p