We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

A project for after GCSE's

iBilo

Once I have shown my parents that I have the technical ability to build stuff (I'm just gonna build some model probs this week once I've finished my English and Chemistry on Thurs.) they will let me build a computer (as I will have nothing to do during the summer before I go to work in July.)

I don't know what the budget will be atm but I would like to get some advice, tips and do's and don'ts please (I'm not great shakes at computers but I know about some stuff i.e. graphics cards, processors, motherboards, sound cards etc.)

My friends have built computers and one has offered to help me with it, I'm just in the "research" phase atm. So any advice please? :)

for your first build keep it simple, thats where i went wrong and cost myself an extra £50. Make sure everything is compatible with everything else. Sorry im not good at turning my thoughts into words, there should be some guides around on the internet that will help you

And what ever you do, don't try and save money on the PSU, it'll get you no where

and you don't really need anti-static this and that, just as long as you touch the metal bit on the case to ground yourself first and don't touch and of the connectors on anything

And what ever you do, don't try and save money on the PSU, it'll get you no where

Agreed. I spent near enough £100 on mine - and mine isnt that much of a high end system (3.4GHz, 3gb RAM, 7900GTX and 550gb hdd's) - if you want to say bye-bye to your bits get a cheap one...

and you don't really need anti-static this and that, just as long as you touch the metal bit on the case to ground yourself first and don't touch and of the connectors on anything

True, but some people can be forgetful, i've seen it happen unfortunately :oook: