We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

In-game Menus too bright for my eyes!

2StrokeGenius

Hi!

I just got a copy of TDU for the PC and have been playing it for a day now but I don't like the bright white colours which seem to be dominating all the in-game menus. Can they be edited in Photoshop to make them a darker less glaring colour?

I've downloaded a few modding tools including BNK editor, BNK unpacker and repacker and DDS to 2DB but I don't know what file does what as I haven't had experience with this file system before. I've modded other games including GTA (GTA III onwards), Mafia and TESIV Oblivion, all of which I found quite straight forward. If anyone can give me a shove in the right direction, that would be great!

Cheers!

I've downloaded a few modding tools including BNK editor, BNK unpacker and repacker and DDS to 2DB but I don't know what file does what as I haven't had experience with this file system before. I've modded other games including GTA (GTA III onwards), Mafia and TESIV Oblivion, all of which I found quite straight forward. If anyone can give me a shove in the right direction, that would be great!

Cheers!

Okay.. :) Welcome here also :D

As you probably can see, almost all game files are .bnk's. If you open a .bnk file (with the bnk unpacker) you find lots of .2db's.

These 2db's you need to convert into .dds's with TDU Modding Tools. :) After you done that, you can open them up in any other piccy program, like Photshop and edit them. This technique is useful for smaller modding, like head/taillights, or making your own numberplate, stuff like that. ;) When you are done with the texture, you have to do it backwards, convert the edited file back into a .2db, and then pack that into the original .bnk. :)

I hope I made sense there, and didn't forget anything ;) If I didn't make sense, tell me ;)

About the menus in game. The only way I know of would be to change that inside the game. Should be under Options somewhere ;)

Thanks for the explaination of the files and how to edit them Andreaz1, I understand it now although after spending quite a while searching through them I couldn't find anything relating to the horrible white background of the menus and info boxes in game. It would be a perfect solution if they could be inverted i.e white text on black or dark blue background.

Oh well...I guess not all games are quite that easy to modify. More and more current games seem to be alot harder due to new interface technology. I don't too much glare when I'm navigating in game as I have a

medical eye condition which makes bright colours very painful to look at for long periods and makes reading text on them even harder. Thus this ruins my enjoyment and only really get fun out of playing the game but this is fine except the text shows you how to play so it's vital for gameplay.

I found the brightness control in Option>Video but that darkens the gameplay too. This is a shame as when it is down at it's darkest setting the text is really easy to read.

On a side notw on the modding tools we discussed, it's a shame the DDS files can't be unpacked all at once, extracting each individual 2db file is very very tedious!

I shan't give up on TDU however as I've just bought a house and have tweaked my avatar's appearance and am now about to take my first speed challenge.

Thanks again for your help...who knows perhaps someone might figure out a solution for me.

Yep, TDU is one of the most complex games to mod I have ever seen. Which could be taken in a good way actually.

Me thinks the menu should be somewhere in the game files, the problem is finding it. They gotta be hiding somewhere... Don't everyone else think so, or am I wrong? O_O