- General FAQ
- How do I obtain the base game
- How do I run the game on Windows 10
- Can I still play online
- How do I find a specific vehicle that I want to purchase
- How do I enter the race track at the southern-central part of the map
- I see other players in the airport or in other fenced-off locations. How do I get in there
- How do I level up.. What is required for Ace rank
- How do I use the G-Meter
- How do I deal with people I do not want to drive with
- How to adjust car handling
- How do I drift
- How do I sell cars
- The car I want to sell isn't on the list of cars to sell
- Issues and Troubleshooting
- Traffic sometimes suddenly appears out of nowhere or otherwise moves sparodically
- I am unable to start the car engine or move anywhere in free-ride
- I am having problems using the game with my Logitech G27 steering wheel
- Gameplay Performance Improvement Tips
- Configure Your Firewall or Router for Internet Play: Port Forwarding
- Multi-Core Processor Support (addressing framerate loss)
- I'm having alt-tabbing issues: the screen goes black
- My gamepad isn't working properly
- I cannot connect to my friend online
- How can I join a club in-game
- d3d9.dll keeps getting removed from my system
- My game keep crashing while connecting to TestDrive server
A game this old published by a company (Atari) who went bankrupt will be hard to find so many years after the initial PC release in 2007, but it is possible to find some preowned copies. You might try Amazon or eBay, for starters, or simply search on Google..
Here is one seller that I found: https://www.thegamecollection.net/test-drive-unlimited-pc/
TrustPilot AU gives this store a 94% Excellent rating for safety.
This forum will not permit links to illegitimate sources of the game.
The PC-DVD version of the game comes with SecuROM security, which is blocked by Microsoft in Windows 10. The only known workaround is to use a No-DVD patch. Please find and use one at your own risk, and do not link to such a file on these forums.
Yes, thanks to the incredible work of some community modders. While the game servers officially went offline years ago, you can make use of the Project Paradise mod for TDU. This includes a Launcher with various parameters and a d3d9.dll file which should be saved in the same folder as your game executable. Please follow the installation instructions included with this mod. If you begin a new savegame profile, you will need to complete a tutorial before you can play online. This includes renting a car, buying a house, buying a car, completing a race, and entering your house. When you leave your house you will be able to free-ride with other players. Some multiplayer aspects of the game, such as Online Races and Clubs will not work.
Explore the island of O'ahu in free-ride and look for dealerships. As you discover them, they will appear on your map allowing you to fast travel to them later.
This can be unlocked by reaching a certain level of the game (before Champion) by completing achievements. You can view your achievement progress from inside one of your houses.
Firstly, you must reach the 'Champion' level in the game by completing various achievements. When you reach this level you unlock Hardcore Mode. You can switch to Hardcore Mode via the main menu after selecting your savegame. This mode attempts to offer more simulation-style handling and physics but has the side effect of low gravity. You can drive into certain plants/gardens at high speed to jump over various fences. Or you drive a motorcycle on one wheel as you crash into a friend parked in front of a fence with a low, ramp-like bonnet. Once you enter a fenced-off area, pause the game and save a Bookmark. You can teleport to your Bookmarked locations from the map.
Check your rank progress when you're in your house. It's under the info tab. Leveling your rank is all about completing specific tasks. You have to gold cup all the missions, buy 15 houses, buy 50 cars, buy 3 cars of certain brands, buy clothes, drive the whole map, and log 5k miles to reach Ace.
Multiplayer tasks have been modded out, so you'll reach 100% completion and Ace rank if you just complete all the singleplayer tasks.
Everything should be buyable without having to grind missions if you buy cheap tuners for the races, and cheap houses and cheap cars to fulfill the progress requirements for Ace rank. Afterwards, you can just sell all the filler cars and clean out your garage.
Use hardcore mode then press Ctrl+G
There is an ignore option. You have to go into the auxiliary menus while in the car. The options are Radio, Chronopack, Driving Aid, and Free-Ride Players. Go to Free-Ride Players and invite everyone you want into the group. When they're all linked to the group, select ISOLATE. When ISOLATE is selected, the people who aren't in the group disappear after a few moments.
Note this only works in a group of 2 or more people. If you are alone, then map out to somewhere else or pause until that person leaves.
Remember to set your steering sensitivity in Options. It can be the difference between a nice feeling car and a car that handles like poop. The ideal is to make it responsive yet also smooth and stable.
Use hardcore mode, no assist, manual.
You can go to your house, into "Trade", sell car or sell bikes, and direct sell it for half-price.
Or you must fill up all your house slots with cars. When you try to purchase a new car at a dealership, the option to sell your car will pop up. At this time you can select multiple cars to sell if you want.
Sometimes when you want to sell a car, its not there on the list. You have to go back to your house garage and move that car to a different house. Now when you go back to the dealership, it should show up as sellable.
This can often occur when your framerate exceeds 60FPS. Try enabling VSYNC in the game options.
Check your game control options - you might have a button mapped to 'Engine Start'
There is a mod available for that:
1. If you are suffering from poor performance, you might want to disable the HDR feature that can be accessed by accessing Options>Video in the game. The game world might not look as beautiful as with HDR enabled, but it should run at a smoother rate for you to enjoy the game.
2. You also may want to disable the Anti-Aliasing feature as this will lighten the load on your video card and your CPU a lot.
3. You may also reduce the resolution, and/or use the level of detail slider in video options.
4. Rename Particles.bnk in Euro\Bnk\Fx to disable various fx (smoke, sparks, etc.)
5. Use the the 4GB executables provided in the TDU Platinium's lastest patch.
When you play on a system that is behind a firewall or proxy, certain ports may need to be opened to connect to multiplayer games. (Note: Doing this may also resolve issues with lagging players.)
You must be able to access these external ports:
You have to open the following local port: TCP8889
Ports 17475 and 9961 (TCP/UDP) must be opened.
If you are unfamiliar with port forwarding, search for basic guides on how to do so. Generally, you just have to access your router and/or firewall's settings and manually add permissions for the ports listed above.
With the release of multi-core processors, some titles that were designed for single-core processors are having issues. These issues can manifest as the following:
- Choppy and/or stuttering performance, sometimes manifesting as random pausing, during gameplay.
- Gameplay performing at hyper speeds making it impossible to play.
These issues are being caused due to the timestamp counter not always being read correctly (more specifically, different timestamp counters in the system may contain different values) by the game.
To prevent this, you can try setting what is called the thread affinity for your game. To do this please do the following:
1. Start your game.
2. Once you have reached the main menu press ALT+TAB (press and hold the ALT key while pressing the TAB key) which should then minimize your game to a window on your taskbar.
3. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up your Windows Task Manager.
4. Click the tab 'Processes' and locate the executable file for your game. Typically this will be named after the game you are running.
5. Select the application by moving your mouse pointer and pressing your right-mouse button.
6. This should then bring up a menu and select 'Set Affinity'. From this window make sure that only CPU 0 is selected and no others and click 'OK'.
7. Once this is completed press ALT+TAB to return to your game. Should your game crash during this process your settings will still be saved and you should be able to re-launch the game without an issue.
Use Borderless Gaming, set the in-game display to windowed mode, and it will become fullscreen and alt-tabbable without crashing.
In general, try x360ce 32-bit build. For DS4 controllers, try DS4windows. In regards to DS4windows, newer builds may not run, but older Jays2Kings versions might work for you (ex. Version 1.4.52). More info here and here.
Try meeting up and waiting somewhere remote on the map to increase your chances of being in the same session. And sometimes if someone just won't show up, try rebooting the game. If this problem is persistent, refer to the Port Forwarding section in this FAQ.
Online features are not working in Project Paradise, only free roam.
When installing Project Paradise, be sure to deactivate any realtime antivirus function. It may be detect the d3d9 files as a virus and immediately delete them. You can go to the quarantine area in your antivirus software, make an exclusion for them, and restore them.
Also, any overlay display may create issues with d3d9 injections. Try closing them. Or, if you have MSI Afterburner running, go to "Riva Tuner" (it's in your bar next to the clock while MSI Afterburner is running). There's an option in there called "Custom Direct3D Support", see if it works after enabling it.
Try repairing your redist versions: Visual C++ 2015-2019, both x64 and x86