We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

To those Down Under.

TDU 505

Are you guys affected by the heatwave and bush fires? It was in the papers today and it looked really bad. Really saddening like what Car Freak said to me. Just hoping to see that you guys are fine and alright :)

im fine, because i dont live in vic ;) but over 750 houses have burned to the ground, and over 100 people have died. these numbers are expected to grow, so sky news says.

Yeah, I don't live near where the fires are, though I had a holiday house close by. Its horrifying how much has been burnt, and how many lives have been lost (its over 130 now confirmed, but that's expected to climb). Supposedly these are the worst fires in Australia's history.

The heatwave itself wasn't so bad for me as where I used to live, it was those temperatures all the time. However, for Melbourne, 46 degrees Celsius/ 114.8 degrees Fahrenheit is a hot temperature.

E: I wish people didn't call Australia Down Under, I don't think I've ever heard the terminology used here.

The heatwave itself wasn't so bad for me as where I used to live, it was those temperatures all the time. However, for Melbourne, 46 degrees Celsius/ 114.8 degrees Fahrenheit is a hot temperature.

Oh god i remember that day. went to the cinema with a friend & came out at the end of the movie to a cinema lobby filled with smoke. The bush fires were burning a few km's away but the wind blew the smoke our way.

Heh luckily enough for me today we got a cool change and it barely reached 20 degrees :)

Oh and I plan on donating to the bushfire relief fund, as well, I have had experiences with bushfires in the past.. :S

sounds bliss :D

i hope to too..what happend to you with the bushfires, did your house burn down or something?

sounds bliss :D

i hope to too..what happend to you with the bushfires, did your house burn down or something?

Yeah it was nice to finally have some cool weather.

Ah no, back about 10 years, I remember we had a massive fire front coming towards our place, it was like on the fringe. The way we countered it, was not with our two firetrucks which we had on the property, as it was too hot for that, but we waited for the wind to change direction in our favour and then (technically illegally) back burned to save our property (at the time roughly 40,000 acres). I still remember the roar of the flames.. It is one of the scariest things you will ever come across in your life, and fingers crossed I don't have to ever deal with it again.

Wow Scar looks like you were really lucky. And yeah, I've never experienced it but I agree that it must be a harrowing experience.

Anyway, back to Mark's first post. I told him about it this morning before school, and when I read the article, i was really speechless, almost on the verge of crying. It's so tragic what's happened. Couple of towns razed entirely to the ground. The extent of the damage, it just boggles the mind...

But the really depressing bit was an eyewitness account of a man who, seeing the fires approaching, decided to flee. He put his two kids (5 and 2 yrs old iirc) into the car, strapped them in and turned around to grab something from the house. When he came back out, the car was on fire :eek:

It was just, I didn't even know what sort of emotions i was feeling when i finished reading that. All this weather and everything, it's just crazy :(

He put his two kids (5 and 2 yrs old iirc) into the car, strapped them in and turned around to grab something from the house. When he came back out, the car was on fire :eek:

omg, i never heard that, you would have to live with it for the rest of your life, having flashbacks. gah, what a horrible thing to happen....:eek:

Guest LeetPix

its fine here over at perth,wa...gets to around 15c at night =p, and around 30ish at max...got aircon at tafe and home so its all good :D, but yea i heard it was 47 in melb from my friend that lives there so i kinda feel sorry for the east side =/

its fine here over at perth,wa...gets to around 15c at night =p, and around 30ish at max...got aircon at tafe and home so its all good :D, but yea i heard it was 47 in melb from my friend that lives there so i kinda feel sorry for the east side =/

You heard right. Stinkin hot. It was even to hot for my trademark "EVERYBODY GET NAKED" ;)

Guest LeetPix

its not much better with a laptop, i have 2 laptops in my room, if i just leave one of them on and play tdu on it and turn off the aircon, u can feel the difference between my room and the rest of the house, so most of the time i just leave the aircon on