We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU suddenly decides to have issues

BanditoBurrito

(If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it, haven't been on this forum in years lol)

Okay, so about a couple weeks ago I got a new AMD Phenom II X4 945 processor. I put it in and played some TDU and it ran great! I was able to max out every setting at 1600x1200 resolution and still pull off 70fps. Well, I ordered a new CPU cooler and put it on, but in a moment of sheer stupidity I used WAY too much thermal compound and ended up gluing the CPU to the heatsink. I tried to pull it off and *pop* it pulled the CPU out of the socket.

Today, my replacement came in the mail - a Phenom II X6 1055T. Plugged it in, overclocked it using AMD Overdrive to 3.2GHz and started it up. There was a noticable drop in FPS (I was only managing 30fps tops) as well as some weird graphics issues. Immediately I went back to the desktop and reduced my CPU back down to stock speeds, but that didn't fix it. The same thing happened in Left 4 Dead when, where I would normally get 60fps steadily, I would get 30.

Could I have damaged the motherboard socket somehow, or something on the motherboard itself? Or is it a known issue with the new Phenom II X6 cpu's?

Here's a video of what's happening (game audio muted because it accidentally recorded a friend's voice thru Skype)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COS7ccE7AJ0

I have a hard time believing that a CPU would have such an impact on performance. :confused: Are you sure everything is okay with your GPU as well?

Well, it would explain a lot, since I just came from an Athlon X2 4450e that would give me 45fps on lowest settings, and then I could get 70+ fps at max settings with just a processor upgrade. Nothing's changed with my GPU.

That's what I would think, too. After a restart, it seems to be running at a stable 55fps... granted less than the X4 but still doable, maybe in part to the lower clock speeds?...

EDIT:

Alright, it seems to be doing alright in games now, back up to 70fps. But when i record video with Fraps 3.2.3 it absolutely KILLS my framerate, when the only things I have running are MSN, Skype and Winamp. During recording the game becomes unplayable and I'm lucky to reach 10fps. And for whatever reason, my GPS has a blue haze over it. Look.

10hk4mp.jpg