We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Game lags

Vlastik80

Hi,

perhaps this question had already exist somewhere on the forum, but I must ask:

When Im playing game exist some "lags" - something like this video: (not quite- randomly )

Exist any chance how to fix it?

My PC is: Q9650, 6GB DDR2, GTS 450, GeForce 260.99whql, Windows 7 x64

EDIT: I Tried MGRC 2.0 (radial.cdb deleting), but without success...

Thankx for reply.

I created logical drive on primary HDD and game runs better from that drive- with a little lags, but better than playing from another drive (where isnt OS installed)... So, that is maybe next solution for this problem. Maybe that is better because primary (OS) drive is still in use and loading (game lags) times is lower...

Regardless of if you play from a flash drive (Which'll be slower than a HDD) You'll still have to use the data speeds for the data to reach the RAM (Memory RAM) So if anything, USB Drive would make it worse!

Run a stablility test on your computer and see if any of your components are getting a little old.

Other than that, try cleaning up your computer (Virus scans, optimise the startup, Remove unneccessary programs)

Yes, flash drive is slower than HDD, and now it seems to be solved by that logical drive on primary system drive, and I defragmented that drive too...

Maybe best solution is uninstall game, or play that game from SSD drive (with better speed - 200MB/s etc.)...

But- Im not sure if SSD is best choice...

EDIT: Or I can try to play game from primary drive without creating any logical drive, but I create specific drive- 8GB logical drive FAT32, 4KB per block- for better reading small files... Maybe I try to play game from primary drive - normal folder... I will see what is better choice...

To be honest, formatting a drive to play a single game is a waste of time.

If your game lags now, it's a good chance that you've got a virus or some of your hardware isn't mixing well with others.

The GTS450 will easily run TDU at 1920x1080. So your system (Or file structure of such) is perfectly fine.

Clean your system up and try it again

Maybe is something with my second drive- 500GB HDD 32MB cache, 1 year old drive (SATA II), I think that drive have some lags with reading/writting, but when is connected as primary (OS) drive then all is fine, but second drive is again slow (the same disc type), where is bug? In cable connection?

Thanks for help.

I'm using a 620GB Sata II drive which is two years old for my games and I have absolutely no problems with it.

If you're having momentary lags, it might be better off to raid them up if they're the same make and model HDD. Although saying that, the lags could just be the drive going into standby mode. Mine do that all the time.

I changed disc mode IDE to AHCI, and my second drive is WD Green (5400/7200rpm) then maybe that was too problem- IntelliPower (5400 or 7200- who knows?) + bad latency (about 20ms).. I will try play game from primary disc where is OS, WD Caviar 7200rpm, about 15 ms, maybe that is better for playing without lags..

Glad you got it working - here are some other tips:

"Green" or "Eco" drives are the slow ones unfortunately, saving power instead of maximising performance. If you're in the market for a new WD HDD, go for the Black series.

You can also check the size and location of your Windows page file, and see if moving it to another drive and then rebooting helps.

Also use Task Manager to close processes that don't need to be running.

Use msconfig to stop programs running at startup that aren't necessary.

If you've not heard of some of the things I mentioned, just do a Google search on them, they're pretty easy.