We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Logitech vs Fanatec

eXile

Alright basically I am getting around £500 to spare next month and I scrapped the idea of upgrading my computer (as it runs TDU2 maxed out just fine, or at least I think 30 fps is fine) and I have decided to buy a wheel.

I have had over the past 2 years 2 wheels. Logitech G25 and G27. Can't say anything bad about them apart from the shifter. It feels too...."cheap" and easy to break kind of feeling. Not that I have broken it or anything.

Okay anyway now to the point I am stuck at buying a wheel.

Should I go for the cheap (or cheaper shall I say G27) or go for a Fanatec GT2 Clubsport / Fanatec GT3RS Clubsport which costs quite a fair bit more but its better apparently.

Budget: try to keep it bellow £500 as much as possible as I would like some other things too if you can.

Thanks for everybody that is willing to help,

PS: Please do give a detailed description of why I should chose that certain wheel as the odd "logitech" is better or whatever answers won't really work. Google has plenty of them :/

- eXile :cheeky:

I have a Fanatec GT3RS Clubsport wheel. Personally, it's better than the G25. My G25 shifter broke, it wouldn't select some gears unless i tried a few times. The Fanatec comes with 2 sticks, so it gets round the problem of the shifter being flimsy. The Gated Shifter for the GT3RS feels meaty to use, has quite a bit of ressistance. The Sequential is rather good too, with no sideways play like the one on the G25.

The wheel itself feels overal better, with a nice racecar feel due to an Alcantara fabric on it. It has a nice "D-Pad" and 2 buttons on the bottom spoke, with 4 more buttons at "3 and 9 o'clock".

The pedals are weel built. Beautifully machines and put together. The brakes have a potentiometer wich is adjustable. So the harder you press on it, the harder the brakes come on. This is adjustable though, as is all the positioning on all the pedals.

The only downsides i've found is that the wheel does get rather hot after a short time of playing, and that the Alcantara does slightly galze over with moisture after a while. But other than them little problems, it's the best wheel i've had.

Hope this helps :)

Seriously, how many wheels out there are more than £500 anyway? ;)

If you've got that much to spend on a wheel fantastic wheel, then your two main choices are the Fanatec GT2 Clubsport pack or the new Thurstmaster T500R wheel (which doesn't have a shifter yet... (but has a clutch pedal).

From what I've heard, the T500 is a better wheel, but more expensive, quite large/heavy, and doesn't have X360 support (compared to the GT2). It also doesn't support older PS3 games, but works fine with GT5 and PC games.

I've heard more than a few problems regarding Fanatec wheel reliability as well, though. While they are helpful in providing support, they can take a while due to it being a much smaller company than Logitech.

I have the G25, and am waiting for the next batch of wheels before I seriously think about upgrading. I hope your not getting a new wheel just for TDU2 though - you'll want a few properly good racing titles (with sim-ish physics) to fully enjoy it.

Fantec reliability has been getting better and better! products are now a lot more reliable.

The only not so reliable product is the standard pedals, and let me just pre warn you, when the wheel has been stopped for hours, it can start up instantly, or need like 1 minute after being turned on, to spinup, but i read somewhere that they are already working on a fix for the problem, but the wheel ends up working and if you dont like it, you can contact fanatec support and they'll send you a replacement wheel :)

I have a fanatec 911 carrera and a gt3 rs v2 and the GT3 RS V2 is just omg all might excelence realism! Its the same as a GT2 hardware wise i think, except the GT2 is compatible with Xbox, not sure about what i just said though!

i never tried the clubsports but i'd love too, reviewers say they are the best pedals on the market, plus they have a load cell on the brake instead of a potentiometer, so the brake intensity does not depend on the travel distance, but on the pressure you apply on the brake :)

So..id go for fanatec :)

I've heard more than a few problems regarding Fanatec wheel reliability as well, though.

I ordered a Carrera (one of Fanatec's wheels) and I had a problem, it wouldn't start.

I emailed Fanatec and thei sent me a new power supply. It didn't work and they sent me a new carrera (they offered me an upgrade though).

To sum up, I think that Fanatec is a great brand and their costumer support is excellent, that preaty much covers any problems you might have ( at least with me)

Yes, but if I spent $700 on a something, I'd kinda expect it to work the first time. :p If a lot of them a DOA, it doesn't inspire much confidence for when the products warranty runs out. It's not like I can quickly drive back to a shop to replace it either.

they aint quite DOA

the wheels have a problem that has been identified and its being fixed for future wheels, according to the place i read, cant remember where, that it might take around 1 or 2 mins to start after you press the power button, for the first time in hours, but then starts normally, and its probably getting fixed before your warranty does run out, plus, if you have a problem, they will ship you a new one without asking you to return yours to speed things up, at least thats what they did with me.

They said if they didnt ask mine for return in the future, i had to destroy it or get disposed of it or so.

Fanatec wheels are great ;) trust me..only really non reliable product is standard pedals, but i read at a forums that the upcomming standard pedal builds will have the tooling fixed so potentiometers dont come out of place :)

Thank you all fo the feedback, great amounts and details.

So it looks like Fanatec it is but what is better GT2 RS or GT3 RS, as I don't think the GT2 is out yet, or I might be wrong. I guess I ll wait a bit and see some comparisons.

GT2 demand outweighs supply due to compatibility with all consoles (reviewers like that kinda thing) ;)

Essentially besides that and a few other tiny differences (buttons that light up, colour, etc) they are the same wheel I believe.

Im not too bothered about buttons that light up, but thing is the price is pretty much the same last time I checked on Fanatec's website. So I guess GT3 RS V2 it is.

Alright thanks guys I will post pics and a short review once I get it.

I am thinking about buying another wheel which I would be using on PC only for the time being (maybe get a ps3 eventually though). I had a g25 a few years back but sold my pc gear and never bothered buying a new wheel with my current pc but now I'm looking between getting the GT3 RS V2 wheel, clubsport pedals & shifter or the new thrustmaster T500 as both wheels cost around the same when you add in extras for the GT3 RS.

which would you reccomend for pc use?

Also I dont want to buy a a new sterering wheel later on so the build quality and warranty support need to be pretty good

id recommend you fanatec :) Warranty Support is excellent, and as i said if your wheel doesnt start when you tell it you wait 1 min or 2 and it will then start (so its not DOA if that happens, its a problem thats already been acknowledge and gona be fixed according to where i read, not sure where tho ) and next times it will start imediatelly.

That only happened once with my GT3 RS V2 honestly

and even with that problem acknowledge, if u complain to support, they will probably send you a new power supply, and if that isnt the prolbme they'll send you a new wheel :)

Im not sue bout thrustmaster, never had one, but fanatec is damn great

Their standard pedals are unreliable (fanatec) as the potentiometers come out of place, but i read also that future builds will have that fixed. Plus fanatec already knows how to fix the problem and they can ask you to ship back the pedals so they will fix it permanently, or they can do how they did to me, they told me that i could try it myself, and i did (gna do a video on it to send fanatec incase they want it to send to ppl with that problem ) and if i failed fixing them they would send me a new pedal set or i could ship those back for a permanent fix ;)

btw exile, looking forward to the review ;)

Thurstmaster doesn't support older PS3 games (but does work with GT5). The TM hasn't really been around long enough to hear about reliability problems, but besides that it's been rated by SRT as better than the GT2 (even though the GT2 supports 3 platforms). Keep in mind that it's heavy, large, and it's pedals (which can be mounted F1 or GT style) take up quite a bit of space (they wouldn't fit under my desk since I have a low shelf.) Search on YouTube for reviews and comparisons.

according to Thomas's blog | Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel :

"Engadget reviews PWGT2 vs. T500RS

Submitted by Thomas on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 08:44.

The well known gadget and technology blog "Engadget" has reviewed the Porsche 911 GT2 Clubsport edition as well as the new Thrustmaster T500 RS.

Clubsport Pedals: 8/10

911 GT2: 7/10

T500RS: 6/10

I wonder how a wheel should look like to get 9 or 10 points so I take that as a challenge

PWGT2 review:

"