We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

[Kotaku] Faux Futurists Want to Keep PC Gaming in the Past

iLLGT3

Some day soon, Nvidia's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang is going to walk on stage at some obscure electronics industry event and say these words: "We love PC gaming. Our heritage is in 3D gaming hardware. And that's why we're more excited than ever to announce we're never making another gaming video card again."

Sound like a doomsday scenario? Then you might be a PC game tinkerer.

There are two types of PC gamers. Firstly, there are people who love PC gaming because of all the fantastic things PC games have that their console or mobile games do not: a complex, precise interface; the ability to easily extend game experiences with modifications both official and otherwise; an incredible wealth of indie and experimental games; and the best graphics and sound experience a normal human being can buy.

gametinkerers620_01.jpg

Read the rest here.

What do you classify as hardcore though? I built my PC in May 2008 and upgraded my graphics card in March 2010. I would've spent at least $3500 on it, but today you could build something similar for a quarter of the price, and both would play new games with ease. If PC gaming is on the way out, then they need to make sure the next-gen consoles include those PC benefits.

You might see more hardware makers sponsoring games so that they don't lose sales of hardcore PC components. Think of the games that have an intro movie for nVidia, AMD, or Intel.

I agree with ryzza, and that 'truth' stat is completely irrelevant. Trust me if pc gaming was about to die those HUGE corporations like nvidia would've sell the business long time ago . PC gaming quality has and always will be ahead of console gaming , and that gap is getting bigger and bigger every year. Nothing delivers the freedom of pc. Those games which made for consoles themselves are made IN pcs.

I read about this a few months ago but it has come up again today at the MS BUILD conference.

Basically Microsoft might make Windows 8 or 9 so that computers running the new OS with good hardware might be able to play X360 games.

At the very least it appears that XBOX Live features will be integrated into Windows 8.

Xbox Live functionality confirmed for Windows 8 -- Engadget

If it means we can use our G25's with Forza then I'm all for it, but if X360 games do become compatible with PCs in the future, then there's pretty much no reason for devs to make PC versions of games (in theory). It appears that they just mean that the little games/demos you find on Live will be available, and not the full games you buy from shops, but we'll have to wait and see what MS is cooking up.

Not if you had to sign into LIVE and verify/activate purchased games before you could play them (or at least in order to play online). I assume they would use the same techniques as the consoles.

If they're adding these features at the OS level (as opposed to an addon-application) it should have decent security. That said, there are some who still pirate Windows 7 and X360 games.