We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New car advice :o

Hammy

Get Something Small

Guaranteed the RX-7 will be in a wall a week after its bought

Work your way up through you cars

I shall Quote a Movie we all know

"You cant just jump in the ring with Ali cause you think you can box"

Start Small Bring the Insurance down

RX-7s can be known to depart rather rapidly sp as Marc says you're likely to end up going backwards into a hedge/wall at some point depending upon what you've driven before

So a few Q's

1. What have you driven to date?

2. How clean is your licence & insurance record?

3. How much do you want to spend?

4. What sort of car do you want? (hatch/coupe/cabrio/etc)

5. How old a car do you want?

6. Define decent performance

7. Define cheap insurance

totally agree with all that

but the best thing i can tell you it to avoid a rear wheel drive car like the plague . british roads are some of the worst ive seen. loads of diesel and oil on the road that you cant see, and as soon as it rains your a dead man in a rear wheel drive

1. What have you driven to date? Clio, Corsa and mams company cars: RX-8 and Audi A3

2. How clean is your licence & insurance record? 2 years both clean, 2 years no claims. could use dads policy if needed.

3. How much do you want to spend? upto 10kish

4. What sort of car do you want? Not fussy

5. How old a car do you want? Not fussy

6. Define decent performance - Car that wont get left on the spot basically

7. Define cheap insurance - Under 2k.

well as the only powerful rear drive car you've driven is an RX-8 I'd agree about staying clear of the rear drives ... known too many people who have come unstuck ... I didn't have a rear drive until I'd been driving for about 6 years and then I bought a MR2 MkI ... one of the best balanced mid/rears you can buy

As to what to get ... hmmm ... not being left on the spot performance is difficult !!!! depends on what you're up against ... and NEVER mention that to an insurance company

Well I drive a current(ish) generation Celica ... now 6 years old ... only have the 140bhp version but does 0-60 quick enough and holds pretty well on the bends ... you can pick good examples of those up cheap now and they're only group 13 ... for me (I'm 33 and no points or accidents, full no claims) it cost about 300 quid fully comp.

In terms of 'performance' cars remember 70,000 miles is normally major service time for timing belts and if it has it quite often replacing Turbos ...this means it's VERY expensive ... one reason why you'll find the Fiat Coupe Turbo is as rare as Hen's teeth ... you have to drop the whole engine out to change the belt on it and also the turbo needs replacing at 70k miles and it costs a fortune.

Also the older the car you get the less it'll generally have in terms of traction control

In terms of hot hatches the Fiesta ST is a great laugh and you can pick a few year old one up for about 10k these days ... plenty quick enough where you need it ... great handling ... and shouldn't be too nasty on the insurance

One of the best things to do is go on somewhere like money supermarket and play around entering car details to see how much stuff costs ... being only 19 you'll find there will be a LOT of cars that normal insurance companies won't touch you with ... and normally for a valid reason.

Hope this helps?

True ... not a fan of French cars myself ... the interior trim quality is poor ... and I've known quite a few Peugeots to get to a certain age and then just die

C2 VTS is pretty nippy 0-60 ... insurance group might be lower because of cheaper parts and less nickable than the Ford

SEATs are quite good but an Ibiza of similar 0-60 is the 1.8 and it's Grp 12 so it'll cost a bit

totally have to agree with Hybrid again.. if anything you want to look at newer cars rather than older cars with big engines that on the face of it seem really powerful...

at the end of the day it doesnt take a rocket scientist to make a car go fast in a straight line, so old cars with big engines do go fast...... BUT their brakes and suspension are old tech and you'll end up spending a fortune getting it how you want it.. buy something newer and more reliable that'll save you a fortune in the long run