We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Tories propose banning plasma screens

Nodz86

The lovely Torie's (conservative Party aka David Cameron) want to ban electrical goods that use to much electric.

The Conservatives are to propose banning plasma screens and other energy-guzzling electrical goods.

The ideas come from a group set up by David Cameron to develop policies to protect the environment.

Although the measures to make household electrical appliances more energy efficient are not binding on Mr Cameron, they are thought likely to be warmly received by the Tory leader.

The group will also suggest scrapping Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a measure of the nation's success in favour of a model that measures people's happiness drawn up up by Friends of the Earth.

Under the proposals, a cap could be set on the energy use of each electrical appliance, and those exceeding limits could be banned from sale in the UK.

A new labelling requirement could be introduced to inform consumers of products' annual energy consumption compared with other similar appliances.

And there could be a ban on electrical goods with stand-by lights which can stay on indefinitely.

Some 2 per cent of Britain's total electricity use is currently taken up by appliances left on stand-by rather than being switched off.

The proposals are set to be unveiled on Thursday in the final report of the Tories' Quality of Life Policy Group, chaired by former Environment Secretary John Gummer and green activist Zac Goldsmith, a Conservative spokesman confirmed.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has already announced his ambition to "eliminate" the stand-by function on appliances, which was blasted by the Government's energy review last year as a waste of electricity.

The report is expected to focus on plasma-screen TVs as particularly wasteful of electricity, and it is thought that many models would fall foul of the proposed energy cap unless dramatically more efficient technology was developed.

Householders are also expected to be offered tax cuts potentially worth thousands of pounds to make their homes more energy-efficient.

The authors are quoted as saying: "We propose a partial rebate of stamp duty if all cost-effective energy efficiency improvements are adopted at the time of sale or shortly after.

"This should be combined with a zero rate of stamp duty for zero carbon homes.

"We also favour a discount on council tax payable in respect of all homes which are built to the highest environmental standards."

I seriously hate David Cameron !!!

Was he even on the green bandwagon this time last year ????

Hes only green because most people have been sucked to into the lie about CO2 emissions and how we are damaging our planet and people like him and many other people are believing it. STUPID People !

We don't need PLASMA tv's anyway we all know LCD tv's lasts longer.

Stupid politicians haven't got an idea what the public wants, put me in charge and I will make the UK a better place.

Another policy, he seems to bring one out every day lol, a couple of days ago it was making all teenager do public service basically calling us all yobs and criminals, there was the human rights one plus loads of other rubbish. Why bother though, he has no power and never will because most old people will think he's too young and most young people think he's a di.. annoying person.

Another policy, he seems to bring one out every day lol, a couple of days ago it was making all teenager do public service basically calling us all yobs and criminals, there was the human rights one plus loads of other rubbish. Why bother though, he has no power and never will because most old people will think he's too young and most young people think he's a di.. annoying person.

All teenagers do public service ???

Thats right because every teenager is a chav/yobo :wtf:, you need to learn alot about teenagers if you think that is the case David.

Did you the one the other week about not letting teenagers who joy ride have a driving license until there 21 or something ???

Another example of why Cameron wont be a leader, does he actually think not letting the yobos who joy ride have a driving license until 21 gonna stop them from doing it ???? because it will very likely make them do it even more wouldn't it because they wouldn't care.

I don't like Brown, Cameron or the liberal democrat leader (who ever he is this week) so I will not be voting the next general election because I don't agree with any of them.

I seriously hate David Cameron !!!

Was he even on the green bandwagon this time last year ????

Hes only green because most people have been sucked to into the lie about CO2 emissions and how we are damaging our planet and people like him and many other people are believing it. STUPID People !

We don't need PLASMA tv's anyway we all know LCD tv's lasts longer.

Stupid politicians haven't got an idea what the public wants, put me in charge and I will make the UK a better place.

put you in charge and we will be driving vauxhall Nova's.... j/p had to be said