We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Am I Losing it?

Immelmann

I'm really worried that I'm actually starting to lose it guys. If anyone can offer suggestions, please do.

It seems that recently my mind has been going places it probably shouldn't be. Now, in the past I've been called "Too smart for my own good" numerous times (Drives me nuts too), but now I wonder what is up with my head. I get off thinking about the oddest things that I'll do my best to explain to you, hopefully it'll make sense, just one of those things. Here's an example of one of the lesser, more simple ones. I keep thinking about how things are really only based on perception, and, if you can control your perceptions, nothing really matters. Time only seems to take a long time because that's the only perception you know, so if you could control it, then you could make geography class feel like it ended far sooner. People's opinions don't really matter, you could be in your own little world of self-generated perceptions and all would be as you wanted it. Even simple things like pain/pleasure. Things may only hurt because that's all you know how to take the whatever as, so, if you could control your perceptions, a kick to the back could feel like a massage. Basically controlling what you want to think could make you the happiest person alive. There is much much more, but it is so incredibly deep you'd need some sort of human hex editor to be able to even attempt to decipher it. That is but the small beginning of it. And this happens all the time! Whenever I'm bored!

And no, I don't drink or do drugs, so I'm not high or anything. Haven't seen a psychiatrist in ~5 years though. Help?

I wouldn’t worry about it. I do the same to a certain degree. Do you find yourself looking at an object and then think about how to make it better, and then go through all the details of how it could be done? If you’re really worried the only real way of getting help is through trained professionals, not people off the internet. I may not understand the problem but I think it’s normal for some people to have a mind like this as we’re all different.

You could try some form of meditation, I don’t mean the stereotypical meditation (unless you wanted to ;) ), cross legs and all that, just practising thinking of nothing, might help. Personally I listen to lots music, currently some blues (Joe Bonamassa) but anything slow and deep works for me (classical, progressive, complex guitar work ect.)

The other this is maybe a creative hobby.I've started to the learn the guitar becouse I now find my mind works on how to better my playing, which is great fun.

I wouldn't worry, I myself think such random things alot. We're all unique, and its okay to be so.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I do the same to a certain degree. Do you find yourself looking at an object and then think about how to make it better, and then go through all the details of how it could be done?

Sounds like you'd be good at engineering :p

I wouldn’t worry about it. I do the same to a certain degree. Do you find yourself looking at an object and then think about how to make it better, and then go through all the details of how it could be done?

I do that soooooo often now that I think of it. Stupid front door.

Looking at most of my peers though, is it really normal to be getting into deep thought about borderline meaning of life crap while the rest are staring at the bum in front of them?

Well, if anything, you're ahead of the rest of them in terms of psychological maturity, assuming the quote above is correct.

I wouldn't call it normal, but I'd certainly call it a good thing, taking life seriously before those around you do.

It's quite normal. You are simply practising philosophy, and epistemology in particular. Reducing the external world to perception is what Descartes famously did in his Meditations, so that could be worth a read - though don't fall into the pit of sollopsism.

Better might be a slight but important variation on that theme - idealism as put forward by Hegel.

I also used to think about such things a lot, from an earlier age than 8 as well, and I didn't turn out tooo bad ;) Though now I'm much more of an empiricist (Hume). I really enjoyed studying philosophy and I expect you will too - the BEST starting place for all that is a fantastic book called 'Sophie's World' (Jostein Gaardner) - it's a great introduction to various philosophers and will make your head spin - just don't skip the boring bits!