We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My New Computer Idea

VolkswagenRacing

So I figure my laptop is no good for gaming, and overheats to a self shutdown. This has pushed me to inherit my dad's HP Pavilion 754n. My plan is to get a ATI RADEON HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card. I also plan on getting a monitor seeing as he will keep his widescreen.

His PC specs are 2.53Ghz, and 1.49GB of RAM. I'm wondering if the card will actually run TDU like a BEAST. Also, I'm wondering if any of you know a cheap, widescreen monitor that is also good for my gaming PC project.

It depends on your motherboard and PSU. I'll have a look at the PC model for you.

E: A quick look shows me that it is an old AGP x4 Motherboard. This means that you can't use a PCI express graphics card. It also has a weak Pentium 4 processor.

If you were to get a new graphics card, you'd only be able to choose from old, low end models. From Nvidia GeForce 6200 - 7300, ATI Radeon X2400 or HD3850. And old AGP cards can be hard to come by in some places.

I wouldn't advise trying to upgrade the computer as it won't perform well no matter how much money you put into it. You'd be best off buying/building a new computer.

ok, I have another question. If I sell my laptop, AND my inherited computer, would I be better off buying this PC? - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4678031&sku=C122-05162&srkey=C122-05162

That's a entry-mid range gaming PC so yea, it will play TDU fine, possibly on medium or high setting and other newer games.

• 2 weeks later...