We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Considering a racing wheel.

zo6dude

I've been considering a racing wheel for awhile now and i've finally decided to buy one. Trouble is, I don't know what to get and was hoping you guys could input your 2 cents. I'm looking to spend about $100(possibly a little more) and it has to be compatible with TDU(Obvsly). I also have several questions. LOL.

1. Is hard to drive with a wheel in TDU?

2. Can a maintian a constant speed?(say 60 mph)

3. Is it fun?

4. Is it more realistic(I currently use an Xbox 360 controller)

5. Is it worth it.

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

1. No, its alot better

2. Yes, just like a real car

3. Yes

4. Ofcourse

5. Definatly

I would have recommended you the Logitech Driving Force GT but it seems its only for PS3 now which is quite odd. I saw it for PC when it first came out.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Logitech-Driving-Force-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1248312772&sr=8-6

I would easily recommend the G25 and its alot cheaper now. From Amazon, its $222 compared to the $300 it used to be when it came out.

Theres this great ThrustMaster Ferrari wheel. Saw the review and was good but its Lock is quite small.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Ferrari-Forcec-Feedback-Racing/dp/B001S0RTUA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248312772&sr=8-14

And ofcourse, the MOMO is always a great choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel/dp/B00006HYLN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248312772&sr=8-3

i have a driving force gt pro, which they say is for the ps3 but i downloaded the driver from the logitech website and it is perfect for the pc, and yes to your checkpoint list, its great for mainting a constant speed and i mostly cruise realisticly with it its awesome!, i got mine from here

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Logitech-Driving-Force-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248314000&sr=8-1

I've been considering a racing wheel for awhile now and i've finally decided to buy one. Trouble is, I don't know what to get and was hoping you guys could input your 2 cents. I'm looking to spend about $100(possibly a little more) and it has to be compatible with TDU(Obvsly). I also have several questions. LOL.

1. Is hard to drive with a wheel in TDU?

2. Can a maintian a constant speed?(say 60 mph)

3. Is it fun?

4. Is it more realistic(I currently use an Xbox 360 controller)

5. Is it worth it.

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

I use a MOMO and I like it very much.

1. It is not "harder" to drive with a wheel, but it isn't really easier. It takes alot to set up as there are many settings, both for the wheel itself and in TDU. You have to tweak a little here, test it, tweak a little there, test it, etc. Get other peoples settings and start there, then adjust to your style.

2. Yes, you can maintain a constant speed. I'm guessing you can't with whatever you're using now? That does seem that it would be difficult driving like that (although my wife does that in her real car!).

3. I used to use a joystick mounted on a homemade stand that sat on my right side (just like an F-16 Falcon). It was fun, and is still better than a wheel for the bikes, but , yes- a wheel is the best way to play a driving game.

4. Never used a controller for TDU. Only used one on a 360. I don't care for controllers, so that is an "each to his own" thing. Of course, I think a wheel is more "realistic" for a driving game, although it doesn't seem Atari agrees - check the very end of the README file - it has a LONG list of unsupported wheels for TDU; a driving game that doesn't support the most popular wheels, LOL!

5. Definitely worth it, even if TDU was your only driving game.

Now as to the difference between a MOMO and a G25: The G25 has a seperate H-gate shifter. The MOMO shifter is attached to the wheel housing and is sequential only. I do not use it for shifting - I use the paddles. I use the shifter "buttons" for e-brake and car-reset.

The G25 has 900 degree and (???) another degree I don't remember (or is that the DFP?). THe MOMO has 300 degree only. Of course the 900 is more like a real car, whereas the MOMO is more like an F1 car. It's just me (and I have not tried a G25), but I do like not having to turn the wheel that much. I guess I like my cars to be set up like an F1 car, LOL.

It's your choice.