We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Strange Problem Since Upgrading.

me™

Hi there,

So, anyway, I recently carried out a rather major upgrade.

I replaced the CPU and the motherboard, the old ones were:

AMD Athlon 5200+ 64-bit (2.6ghz dual core)

Abit KN9 SLI

And the new components are:

AMD Phenom x4 955 Black Edition (3.2ghz quad core)

ASUS M4N78 SE

The problem I have encountered is that Windows Media Player crashes (This program has stopped working) whenever I connect an external storage device to a USB port. Be it my MP3 player, my camera, or my flash drive. If I restart WMP with the device still plugged in, it crashes again. Once I unplug the device, WMP works perfectly again.

Any ideas? Drivers I need to install / re-install?:confused:

It sounds as though the GUIDs are being confused, as your motherboard has been changed. It looks as though WMP is searching your previous motherboard's GUID even though it isn't there any more.

As ScaR said, reinstall and it should work just fine.

When you replace a motherboard, the best thing to do is reformat your HDD as the drivers for your old motherboard will still be there. And they can conflict with the new ones.

I'd rather not do that. I could possibly try looking for the old mobo drivers though, then dee-stroy them!

just uninstall it as normal and reinstall it off windows update (?) not sure how. Otherwise maybe change media player

That's the point I'm trying to make. HOW? WMP doesn't show up in either the list of programs or the list of updates.

EDIT: Found out I can sync stuff to the mp3 player (Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb) using windows explorer. The Zen updates its library automatically and all the track details are correct, but it doesn't sync the album art. :(

That's the point I'm trying to make. HOW? WMP doesn't show up in either the list of programs or the list of updates.

EDIT: Found out I can sync stuff to the mp3 player (Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb) using windows explorer. The Zen updates its library automatically and all the track details are correct, but it doesn't sync the album art. :(

Ok. Well I did some research and apparently you cannot uninstall WMP. However, you can do the following;

1. boot with your vista disk

2. see if there is a repair option to reinstall the software

3. be happy because it worked ;)

Another possible way could be download the WMP 11 for XP and try installing that without trying to uninstall what you already have - might fix any errors