We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Help - "Safe Mode" Launch Option?

Degenatron

Anyone know some command line switches for TDU?

I've gotten into a spot where TDU starts in a resolution not supported by my monitor. I can hear the startup videos running and I can hear myself paging through menu options, but I can't see anything.

I got into this mess by selecting a profile that had been saved while running with a monitor I no longer have. As you know, TDU switches the menu resolution to match whatever the current profile resolution is saved to.

Now here's the crazy part: I have completely un-installed the game, including wiping out the Test Drive Unlimited folder under the Application Data folder in my profile, cleaning out the registry of all TDU entries, and moving my saved game files out to a backup location. After re-install, it's still crashing my monitor when it starts.

Either the default resolution the game installs at is out of range for my new monitor, or somehow it is remembering the bad resolution settings.

I need some way to either force it to run at it's default settings or force it to run at a specific resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D-Gen

Worked like a charm...

...After I un-did all of the damage I had done trying to fix it in the first place.

I first went off the track when the game started freezing up after I installed the new monitor. I now know that the two were completely unrelated. It was the Radial file that was messing me up in the begining. If I had come here, read through some of the trouble shooting stuff, and not jumped to conclusions; I would have saved myself a lot of time and effort.

Once I got the game put back together, I was able to launch wih the mod tool and switch back to my main profile, which has the proper resolution set.

Now the only trouble is that my other two profiles won't set to the proper resolution. I can luanch in windowed mode, and switch to those profiles, but it seems that when I change the resolution settings in windowed mode, it doesn't carry over to when I launch in full screen mode.

Any ideas?

This is relatively minor, since my main profile is working, but I'd like to know a fix just in case I have trouble with my main profile in the future and also one of the secondary profiles is my kid's profile and I'm sure she's going to want to play eventually.

Actually the profiles were working fine, it was my monitors that was choking.

I was launching from both - I tried Full Screen from the Mod Tool and from the shortcut - both had the same effect - if the curent profile was set to the wrong resolution, then it would still be wrong after adjusting the settings while in Windowed Mode.

However, all is well now:

I created a new test profile and it copied the setting from my Main Profile (kinda like how Windows uses the "Default User" to create new profiles).

So, after consulting with the kiddo, I deleted the other two "bad" profiles and just made new ones from scratch.

Done.

Some minor glitches still remain, but they are a completely different can of worms that I'll make a new thread for.

Thanks for all the great help, you guys got me back on the road. I'm a techy, so i'll try to give back any chance I get.

D-Gen