We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Super-charge your Canon PowerShot camera (shoot RAW format!) with CHDK

Ryzza5

CHDK' date=' or Canon Hack Development Kit, can magically turn your regular Canon PowerShot into a professional workhorse capable of shooting RAW files, displaying live histograms, motion detection and even executing Lua script.

Seriously, CHDK takes almost any PowerShot camera and turns it into a device that is probably worth twice as much as you paid for it. Just being able to shoot RAW images is almost enough to make me buy a PowerShot for those times when my DSLR is just too big for the job. Heck, with CHDK, a PowerShot can actually do more than my DSLR!

Anyway, as I don't actually own a PowerShot yet, I can't provide a proper hands-on review of CHDK. Instead, I point you towards an excellent two-part write-up and tutorial over at LinuxPlanet. You should be warned that while it's not particularly hard to install CHDK, it does come with associated risks. Don't go anywhere near the experimental builds unless you really know what you're doing. [/url]

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/07/15/super-charge-your-canon-powershot-camera-shoot-raw-format-with-chdk/