We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Need a decent laptop :p (Not anymore :D)

mistermojo

If you're already thinking about Acer, go with them. Great value for money now and they don't break, not even when I drop them down the stairs.

I have the 15.6" version of the one that Reaper linked to and it's fantastic, does what I want it to do and doesn't take a long time to do it either.

Thinking of getting this now, although I'm taking all of your suggestions into consideration, my shortlist of laptops is taking up most of my bookmark space now :p

Seems to get mainly good reviews, the only negatives that have been pointed out are:

- Blu-Ray image quality isn't great (don't even care, didn't even know it could do Blu-Ray until I read the reviews)

- Sound is tacky (taking my speakers anyway)

- Battery Life is pretty awful (The only thing that slightly bothers me. Although there are lots of settings to help increase the normal 169 minutes)

This dell thing is odd, at work i take a lot of lappys in for repair and the Dells are the quickest back from the manufacture.

As for the least reliable thats: Advent and HP/Compact

Couldnt agree more on that advent is un reliable. My advent broke within 3 months sent it off for repairs and a month later came back with new mobo, processor and ram. Not been the same since...

HP i have a thing against due there customer service people a while back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I splashed out and got the Samsung :)

Seems great as expected, came with a huge amount of bloatware (also as expected), 50 installed programs and almost 80 processes running so I had to spent a silly amount of time getting rid of all the useless rubbish. Also have an issue where the screen popup telling you volume levels/brightness etc has stopped working so I cant change either of those things using the shortcuts but I can live with that.

Other than that it seems great, runs Audiosurf better than my desktop, but runs Oblivion slightly slower. Not hugely bothered though, doubt I'll be playing a massive amount of games at uni.

I would try some newer games but the Steam Backup I did won't work, keeps telling me to "Insert Disk 2" halfway through which makes zero sense as I backed up the 40gb of games onto my external hard drive.

Anyway, here's some rubbish pictures:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/mistermojo28/DSCF0658.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/mistermojo28/DSCF0659.jpg