We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Group-B WRC

Latetzki

Anyone interested about 80's Group B? I think whole WRC was much more fascinating back then. I think biggest problem was those moron spectators, way too close, on the side of the road. Now in 2011 season, it's 1.6 litre turbocharged engines with barely 300hp(?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozntieZs8Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRhxsLfj-I

Damn health and safety. Now company-backed teams are dropping out - during the Group B days, they would design cars specifically for the rallying. I just love the idea of the 959 and Stratos being two-door rally coupes. You just don't see that today. :(

Did they lower the displacement cap AGAIN? I thought it was 2.0 nowadays. :(

-Leadfoot

I saw a Porsche rally car at a museum yesterday and I think it was a Corcadillo or C... something Group B car on Sunday. I would upload photos but I'm lazy, maybe later if anyone's interested.

I'm interested. :) If you get a chance, of course. The Group B Wiki list is only showing a few cars with "C" - Celica, Diahatsu Charade, and the Porsche 924 Turbo Carrera GT. And it was definitely not a Dakar (or Baja) Cayenne?

-Leadfoot

I wasn't around to see them but I'd much prefer to have them back over the crap we've got these days.

The only cars I liked from the latest generation were the Skoda Fabia/Octavia and Subaru Impreza but even they've gone and we're left with Citroens and Fords with the same winner at the end of every flaming event.