We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Having trouble opening port 8889 for TDU Project Paradise

killalldude

I just reinstalled TDU:1 and was hoping to get back online. I followed instructions to open my port but I didn't do it correctly and can't seem to figure it out.

Running Windows 7

Router is a DLink DIR-615 V2

Here is how I have it set up:

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/killalldude/dfg.gif

Under IP Address I have my computer's IP, just erased it for security reasons.

Any input would be appreciated.

Your 192.168.x.x (or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x) IP address is just like everyone elses - not a security risk to show it. i.e. you might not want to tell us your home address but not wanting to tell us that you sleep in a "bedroom" is kinda pointless. :)

Once you add the rules make sure you hit save and you might need to reboot the router. Once it's back up, ensure the setting is still there and not discarded, then go to a website such as Open Port Check Tool and test if the port is indeed open.

Your 192.168.x.x (or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x) IP address is just like everyone elses - not a security risk to show it. i.e. you might not want to tell us your home address but not wanting to tell us that you sleep in a "bedroom" is kinda pointless. :)

Really? Good to know. I always see people blocking their IP addresses... guess those are the same people who blur their license plates. Is it the router IP address you're not supposed to show?

I did reboot the router, and did the check, and it's still closed. Looks like the guide I followed to open the port wasn't right, or I messed it up.

Noob question, but port forwarding is the same as opening a port right?

Yes and no. Opening a port means you are telling the router's firewall not to block incoming data on that port number. However with NAT (one public IP address shared by multiple home computers/devices), port forwarding tells the router to which computer/device to forward that data to. Most home-routers combine these two actions into the one step.