We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Cows worse than 4x4

Nodz86

Apparently cows produce more greenhouse gasses than your average 4x4. So is it the 4x4's that we should be taxing off the road or should we be cutting down on our steaks and dairy products. What do you think????

Article:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070710/tuk-burping-cows-harming-environment-dba1618.html

ITN - 1 hour 35 minutes ago

Cows could be doing more damage to the environment than four-wheel-drive cars, scientists have warned.

Methane emissions from cattle account for a quarter of the gas in our air and researchers are trying to find a new way to feed cattle which leads to less belching.

Michael Abberton of the Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research said the key is developing new varieties of food that are easier for cattle to digest and also provide a proper balance of fibre, protein and sugar.

He told a briefing on farming and climate change at London's Science Media Centre that this could open up plant-based solutions as alternatives to reducing stock as farmers look for ways to cut methane emissions amid warming climates.

Mr Abberton said the average dairy cow belches out about 100 to 200 litres of methane each day, making diet changes a key potential factor in reducing this greenhouse gas.

"There is a common misperception about how methane gets into the atmosphere," he said. "It is actually through belching rather than the other end," he said.

He said introducing easier-to-digest legumes that tend to reduce methane emissions is an example of an approach scientists are beginning to explore. Legumes such as clover and alfalfa are commonly used for animal fodder.

It also requires farmers to balance cows' legume intake with other food and to develop different species of grass that are also more digestible, he added.

"What I'm saying is there are approaches within plant breeding that can lead to reduced emissions," said Mr Abberton.

Its a different gas is'nt it, cows is methane and cars are co2 maily I think, i'll read the article. So this is saying eat more steak and we save the planet. To be fair its still our fault with these many cows becouse we keep them. Arr nevermind.

Your right they do produce different gasses, cows produce methane and cars produce CO2.

The thig I wrote on the end about eating less dairy and meat products so there ain't as many cows was just a joke debate thing.

BTW it isn't just cows all cattle produce methane, i.e. sheep, but not as much as a cow.

At the end of the day you have to weigh it up.

Cows give us food (beef, dairy products)

Cows give us drink (milk)

Cows give usclothing (leather)

[The majority of] 4x4s make people with too much money feel superior on the school run because they are 4 foot higher than everyone else

just my input