We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player - Further Price Drop

Nodz86

Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player - Further Price Drop

After Toshiba's decision to withdraw from the HD-DVD format and the statement from Xbox that I posted yesterday, I thought you'd like to know that from today the estimated retail price for the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive will be only 49.99 Euro or £39.99. We won't be manufacturing any more and retailers will only be selling the stock they have, so if you want one at this ridiculously low price get your skates on. You will still be able to receive support and service for your HD-DVD drive.

At that price it's a bit of a bargain - there are currently over 500 HD-DVD movies available and there are plenty still scheduled for release in the coming weeks. To be honest I'm looking forward to building my collection if and when retailers start dropping prices on the flicks themselves...

Xbox's Latest HD-DVD Statement

I'm sure you've heard plenty about the HD-DVD situation over the past week. To clarify things from Xbox's point of view, GamerScore Blog has posted a new statement:

"As a result of recent decisions made by Toshiba, Hollywood studios, and retailers, Microsoft plans to withdraw from HD DVD. Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360, but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support for all Xbox 360 HD DVD Players in the market.

As we stated earlier, we do not believe this decision will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace. HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own."

From aceybongos' Community Manager, Xbox EMEA

So this will please Nige :p. Also heard on the Radio 1 today that M$ have completely dropped HD DVD and may be bringing out blue ray stand alone player or install one in the 360 itself like they had plans to do with the HD DVD player.

I'm gonna buy one !!!

£39.99 thats a bargain, now all I gotta do now is wait untl the shops finally reduce the price of the hd dvd titles then I'm onto a winner lol :D.

I wouldn't believe anything that Newsbeat says anyway so until I hear it from Microsoft I refuse to belive it :).

I'm gonna buy one !!!

£39.99 thats a bargain, now all I gotta do now is wait untl the shops finally reduce the price of the hd dvd titles then I'm onto a winner lol :D.

I wouldn't believe anything that Newsbeat says anyway so until I hear it from Microsoft I refuse to belive it :).

Thought you would go and get one.

Personally I think if blu ray does take over from normal DVD's then I think M$ will definately make a stand alone player. It might be a while or the replacement to the 360 that will get a built in one unless theres another format out by that time.

I wonder if GAME are selling them that cheap now ????

Cus I was gonna hang out at my local shopping centre later on tonight anyway (No not like a chav), so If they are that cheap I might get one tonight but if they are still full wack I would rather wait until they go cheaper.

Just looked on the Game website and they are still £99.99 so I will have a look tonight and wait until the price drops.

I don't see the point in buying one even at that price ... you'll only get a few films released on that format

Time to start saving for a PS3 and a new amp at some point !

:eek:

Hybrid you just sweared !!!

tut, tut :eek: !!!!

:eek:

Hybrid you just sweared !!!

tut, tut :eek: !!!!

What's wrong with a PS3 ... I was originally a Sony boy ... only got an 360 as my PS2 (bought at launch day, collected at 7am before going to work) finally gave up the ghost and the PS3 wasn't out and some rather cool game called TDU was coming out in a few months time

As to PS3s ... they're most probably the best/most cost effective way of getting a blueray player ... and they have the advantage that theyre easy to update the firmware on ... oh and I'd like to play Metal Gear and Little Big Planet

Nige so you know Game have now dropped the price of it but several retailers are still selling it at full whack.

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/Accessory/~r329721/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive/

WOW :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll on payday I'm sooo buying an ELITE and a HD-DVD player add on :D.

BTW asda has lowered the price of HD-DVD's now so that plus my discount = BARGAIN :D.