We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Which PC Components to Upgrade? [Help!]

Hey,

I can play TDU on 4xAA and HDR Full settings when there is about 3/4 people in a session, then when it gets above that, I start getting some visual lag. I think this is because of my CPU, not sure. My GFX Card is obviously able to handle the graphics etc, as others have the same card and are fine. The CPU is getting on for nearly 5/6 years old!

I'm wanting to buy Race Driver: GRID with these settings and to get FRPAS better in TDU:

CPU: Intel Core Duo 2,66GHz / Athlon X2 3800+

RAM: 2 GB

Video card memory: nVidia GeForce 8800 / Ati Radeon X1950

Disk space required : 12,5 Go

DirectX®: 9.0c

I know I need some RAM. But to get a better FRAPS recording for instance, I need a new CPU, do I not? Which will probably mean a new Mobo :(

If I do need a new Mobo, then I need one with an AGP 8x GFX Card slot, but can hold a decent new CPU.

Atm, I'm thinking of £150 as a max price for Mobo, RAM and CPU. But could be up'ed to £200, maybe more at a very very very hard push! If I really cannot get a decent collection for £150.

Also, I may need a better PSU, as I just have the default which is I think about "250W or 305W". This will enevitably further the price and isn't included in the £150.

I suck at choosing the correct hardware ... so need your help!!!

Please! x :)

- Iced

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to do would be to save up some more money over time and build your own or go to an independent shop, but if you build you own there is no warranty so if something breaks like on mine yesterday you have to fork out more money to fix it

Guest RB26DETT

mate. it's time to get a new mobo, cpu, gpu and ram, and have a decent psu to power all those components.

cause srsly (lol), AGP is gonna be obsolete soon. but in the meantime, what processor and motherboard do you have right now? from there i can tell you what processor to get and gpu. the newer cards you'll be able to buy with a AGP slot would be the Radeon HD3650, and HD3850.

mate. it's time to get a new mobo, cpu, gpu and ram, and have a decent psu to power all those components.

cause srsly (lol), AGP is gonna be obsolete soon. but in the meantime, what processor and motherboard do you have right now? from there i can tell you what processor to get and gpu. the newer cards you'll be able to buy with a AGP slot would be the Radeon HD3650, and HD3850.

Did you read the above? He cant upgrade his PC apart from the RAM

Yes I agree with RB. Just get a decent Motherboard which supports a Quad Core Processor. Your better with 3GB instead of 2GB of RAM and you will definitly need a new PSU too ;)

Why not just get a whole new PC with the specifications you want and take from the Dell what you need for the new PC? Thats the best idea imo.

Guest RB26DETT

oh okay.

could you post your motherboard brand and model please. oh yeah, since it's a dell, you could also tell us what the name of the system is (i.e. XPS blah blah blah).

Yeah I know AGP was a bad choice. But TDU was my first PC proper retail game. Not that I d'loaded them illegally, I mean I played PS2 or PC freebies like GunZ. Therefore, for TDU, I needed a new GPU. My PC wouldn't handle an upgrade as it was crap. So I asked dad to use his and he said yes, I could use his PC. Which is why I had to buy AGP GPU. I don't want to have to fork out another £80 or 90 or even 100 for a PCIE GPU, when my AGP one works fine and if I can get a mobo which work with it, whats the point anyway :p ?!

As for the model of mobo I have, I don't know ... Eek, how'd I find out!

hehe, yes you can shout n00b ;)

E: The PC Model no. is 8300. Hehe 5 year old boys! and it's all well and good you and TSS saying buy this buy that ... I'm no die hard PC player like MadMax or you lot, TDU and maybe RD:GRID are the only games I really play! I do have NFS:BS, but I went off it.

Yes, it is a Dell.

What can't I upgrade? CPU?

FAIL! for this I will not help.

Dell are fail, like ubér fail. They build their Computers where everything is wedled to the computer sometimes or have plastic crap to make sure you can't change any hardware with in the PC.

But if you can change your mobo then I'll help if not well..

E: thanks for the link to RAM :)

Full report is attached.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/th_Everest_1.jpg

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/th_Everest_2.jpg

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/th_Everest_3.jpg

Dell are fail, like ubér fail. They build their Computers where everything is wedled to the computer sometimes or have plastic crap to make sure you can't change any hardware with in the PC.

But if you can change your mobo then I'll help if not well..

That's what I'm tryign to do ;)

Guest RB26DETT

yup. saw it on your second attachment. your mobo supports up to DDR 400, the same as the one's i linked you to.

OK. So that RAM will work with my current Mobo.

However I think I'm going to need to change my mobo for the new CPU, if I can find a decent mobo which supports AGP GPUs

How much would it cost to start afresh (to get decent stuff) taking into account I do not need a GPU, Monitor or anything like speakers or mice ...

Guest RB26DETT

your mobo has a socket 775. so the core 2 duo's will work if you'll be planning upgrade the cpu since intel is still using the 775.