We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New AGP Graphics Card

DriftNismo

Right, well I'm thinking of a new gfx card, right now i'm running an ATi Radeon X1950 Pro Sapphire 512mb AGP, and my mobo only has AGP and PCI-X slots, so no 4870 for me :(. But I was looking at a 3870 AGP, but I'm still not sure yet.

I have enough RAM, and I'm finding out if my current mobo supports Quad Phenoms. If it DOES, there's no way I'm changing my mobo. If it doesn't, I may end up changing it, and it will be to a PCI-E one, so I want suggestions for good, new AGP cards (something I could run Undercover on max gfx settings at 50fps+ on).

Anyone got any ideas?

Right, well I'm thinking of a new gfx card, right now i'm running an ATi Radeon X1950 Pro Sapphire 512mb AGP, and my mobo only has AGP and PCI-X slots, so no 4870 for me :(. But I was looking at a 3870 AGP, but I'm still not sure yet.

I have enough RAM, and I'm finding out if my current mobo supports Quad Phenoms. If it DOES, there's no way I'm changing my mobo. If it doesn't, I may end up changing it, and it will be to a PCI-E one, so I want suggestions for good, new AGP cards (something I could run Undercover on max gfx settings at 50fps+ on).

Anyone got any ideas?

Seeing you were going to get a 4870, get a PCI-E mobo and a 4850.

Motherboards are cheap, its only when your going SLI/Crossfire or Overclocking your CPU to the ****house that the price is something around $200-400.

PCI-E graphics cards are cheaper then AGP.

If you still want a 4870 just get a PCI-E mobo and save up for the 4870.

Simple. AGP is ancient now.

Think about the future of your PC, AGP? or PCI-E?

Eventually you will get PCI-E anyway, so why not now?

"If you still want a 4870 just get a PCI-E mobo and save up for the 4870."

Did I not explain I'm not changing my mobo? I know PCI-E is cheaper and a lot better, and I'll spend about £200-£300 on a new mobo next year after my Mac, but for the time being I'm keeping my mobo, but I need a card that can run everything I play relatively well. I just used Undercover as an example, I'm aiming for high fps on maxxed out Undercover, high fps on maxxed out Gears online and high fps on maxxed out Crysis.

Is there any card that exists? Because the reason I haven't changed mobo yet is because AGP is not dead yet, tons of people still use AGP in their machines, which is the reason ATi are still making AGP cards.

When I do go for PCI-E I'll probably go for Crossfire 4870s or a 280GTX. So does ANYONE have any AGP card suggestions?

Did I not explain I'm not changing my mobo? I know PCI-E is cheaper and a lot better, and I'll spend about £200-£300 on a new mobo next year after my Mac, but for the time being I'm keeping my mobo, but I need a card that can run everything I play relatively well. I just used Undercover as an example, I'm aiming for high fps on maxxed out Undercover, high fps on maxxed out Gears online and high fps on maxxed out Crysis.

Is there any card that exists? Because the reason I haven't changed mobo yet is because AGP is not dead yet, tons of people still use AGP in their machines, which is the reason ATi are still making AGP cards.

When I do go for PCI-E I'll probably go for Crossfire 4870s or a 280GTX. So does ANYONE have any AGP card suggestions?

No chance to get high FPS on Crysis maxed out because there are no decent AGP cards out there.

"Is there any card that exists? Because the reason I haven't changed mobo yet is because AGP is not dead yet, tons of people still use AGP in their machines, which is the reason ATi are still making AGP cards."

Did you not read ShadowGT's post?

"You arn't gonna find any good new gfx cards that are AGP anymore."

As I said:

"AGP is ancient now."

Theres no point spending money on old hardware that will only cost you more in the long run, so IMO deal with what you've got for the meantime.

Think about the money you will save that can go towards something better for your next upgrade.

"and I'll spend about £200-£300 on a new mobo next year after my Mac"

Next year isn't far off :p;)

As I said, after my Mac, which will be about the middle of next year probably. I'm gonna have a look around [H]ard forums a bit, but I might just have to get a mobo. I'd just rather not have to change mobo, because my X1950 is a pretty damn good card and that's AGP, so I assumed there would be other good cards on AGP.