We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Cops take car off 78-year-old hoon

ShadowGT

This made me lol. It was on the news today.

Original article: http://www.theage.com.au/national/cops-take-car-off-78yearold-hoon-20090106-7amr.html

Cops take car off 78-year-old hoon

st_78hoon-420x0.gif

Impounded ... the 78-year-old 'hoon's' Nissan Pulsar.

A 78-year-old hoon caught speeding at 170kmh on a narrow country road on New Year's Day told police he was a skilled race driver.

Victorian Premier John Brumby, however, was not impressed with the man's claims, labelling Australia's oldest hoon driver an "idiot'', while police said he was toying with death.

The septuagenarian was driving a hotted-up red Nissan Pulsar at 170km/h in a 100km/h zone on the winding Brandy Creek Road, Warragul, east of Melbourne when he was caught.

The man, from Narre Warren North, told police he raced cars, was a skilled driver and was "enjoying the feel of the road''.

His car, and a Nissan Skyline driven by a 36-year-old man, were impounded under the state's anti-hoon laws.

The pair was part of a small group from the Nissan Datsun Sports Owners Club participating in an organised New Year's Day drive from Hallam in Melbourne's south-east.

Club president Karyn Hamer-Finn said the behaviour was not only illegal but went against the club's code of conduct.

The members would be disciplined by the club committee, she said.

"We do have a code of conduct that club members do need to sign, and any breach of that means that they will be dealt with at committee,'' Ms Hamer-Finn told AAP.

"We're not above the law, no one is.''

Mr Brumby said the speeding driver would be dealt with harshly.

"For this fool, the full force of the law will be applied to him,'' he said.

"There's not a poorer example to set, it's an appalling example to set for someone of that age. You know, here's a person who'd have children, he'd have grandchildren - what's he thinking when you behave like that.

"The single thing I think would be so great for us to achieve this year as a state would be to get that road toll below 300, and we won't get it with idiots like this who flout the law and set that sort of example.''

Guess your never too old to drive fast. JUST DONT GET CAUGHT!

I was thinking it would be a Holden Commodore/Ford Falcon sort of car, definitely not a Pulsar GTi!

Anyway, I really despise the officer's attitude. Just because he's going fast, doesn't necessarily mean he's dangerous. If he's a race driver (ok, assuming that he was telling the truth), then shouldn't you have some faith in them that they can control the car? What about all those other road users who drive under the limit but talk on phones and do other such dangerous things?

I really really wish the world could understand that for some people, driving a car isn't a necessity, it's a form of leisure, and just let enthusiasts do what they want as long as they're not endangering other people

Well at least they didn't crush it or something like that, as police are sometimes known to do that to criminals' cars

Yeah, I've seen happen a lot of times street racers got their cars crushed (sometimes 160hp Civics, but I've seen a 1000hp Supra and an 800hp R34 GT-R be crushed before :(.

Because it's proceeds of crime. Some countries can resell it at auction but others must destroy it.

But sometimes they have rare stuff, like a Skyline R34 or Ferrari 250GTO, I doubt anyone would crush a Ferrari 250GTO if someone had weed in it, gave it a 1000HP, etc.

But sometimes they have rare stuff, like a Skyline R34 or Ferrari 250GTO, I doubt anyone would crush a Ferrari 250GTO if someone had weed in it, gave it a 1000HP, etc.

Wanna bet? The government doesn't give a rats ass if the car is a rare classic Ferrari or skyline with $50+ grand worth of work put into it. They'll crush it regardless.