We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Can't connect to TDU servers...

Wolfram

Perhaps I'm not the first one to post this. More precisely, I've seen threads before, so I know I'm not the first one.

Either way, I'm having a problem connecting to the servers with the newly created online account. I bought the game recently, played offline for a few days (as not to embarrass myself online), haven't tried MP before.

At first [a couple hours ago], I was using an existing GameSpy account, and the game gave the "you're already logged in with another password" message. Well, I created a new account, tried alphanumeric names that can't possibly be taken, but now it says "can't connect to TDU servers".

Any idea what the problem might be? Firewall and antivirus disabled, haven't explicitly opened router ports, but it seems that if it gave the old message, it did connect to the servers... or no? Or, is it that the servers are actually not online right now?

Yes, I did a try-before-buy with a downloaded rip, over a year ago. The game was freezing for a minute every next minute, though, so it was impossible to play (good thing I tried it out first, otherwise I'd be extremely mad).

After getting a new video card (GTX285), I tried to run all games that used to be buggy or slow before once again, and the problem with TDU miraculously disappeared. So I got the DVD from ebay (could that be an issue?) and installed the full game.

However, trying to use the ripped game online produced a completely different effect - the game just asked for a new serial.

I did a full uninstall of the old version, deleted the user data folders too.

Now as I install the 1.45 edition, it apparently actually can connect to servers, at least it rejects already taken nicknames. When I log in with a unique one, it requests for updating to a new version. With patch 1.66A, and a unique nickname, it gives a failed to connect to servers message.

The problems can be related to my connection still. It's not a very straightforward one, a bit buggy [uT2007 says "your connection can't host games"; some sites don't load w/o a proxy; other bugs]. But if so, what can I do to try and fix it?

Possibly. But the thing is, when I try a serial from the Internet (deleting cdkey.txt), the results are different - the game doesn't pretend to have bugs, but rather just tells the serial is wrong and requests the right one. Mine rather seems to work, but have a bug with the servers.

Is there some info on how it should behave with an "expired" serial?

Maybe you should try this. If you're using Vista, go to C:\ProgramData\Test Drive Unlimited and delete the CD Key.txt file. Open the game, and put in your legit key.

If that doesn't work, make sure you're updated to 1.66A. ALSO, make sure you're either using the original disc or a mini-DVD image (if you don't like digging discs out, like me).

And no, talk about no-DVD EXEs and images aren't illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

Uninstall the game completely. Your profile won't be deleted. Install the game. Install the update. Enjoy.

Also, make sure that you aren't using any of the No-DVD EXE files. Instead, use the original disc.

[mod edit:] Discussion of warez or illegal activities is strictly prohibited, thanks!

Remember also when you install the patch DO NOT do it while the game is running, download the patch separately and install it then start the game up. There is a stickied thread in this section that takes you through the whole procedure.

Bare in mind though previous non-legit copies may cause disruption.