We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

I'm considering getting a motorbike

Captain_ClutchKick

I would recommend a bike any day, I've been riding nearly 2 years and can honestly say I can't imagine a better way of getting around, it's not for everyone though so i'd say you should do your CBT first to see if you like it

choosing a bike is all dependant on what you want it for. Personally I have a chinese cruiser (Jinlun JL-125) because my journeys are either so short speed doesn't matter, or so long that I need the comfort of the big bike's seat. It is falling apart a bit (chinese...) but it is holding up well enough to last till I pass. I wouldn't recommend it if you live in a hilly area or often use bypasses though.

If you'e a speedfreak then a 2 stroke like the Suzuki RG125 or the Aprillia 125 is a good bet, but they are rubbish for long distances (noisy, crap on fuel, need 2 stroke oil, will vibrate your testicles off)

there's tried and tested tourers like the Honda CG-125 or whatever bike sponge has (Yamaha YBF IIRC)

then there's a scooter if you have absolutely no taste...

I'll let Richard Porter tell you how good mopeds are... http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue039.html

I want a 4-stroke, if I can. I'm going to be moving to London and will need to go home now and again. When I've done my CBT (if I like it) I want to do the 125cc test then just get something restricted for the time being. I only have £2000 to spend on getting a licence and everything else, though I've got a provisional in my car driver's licence

unless you plan on riding a lot of long distances and you intend to carry on riding after you get a car I don't think there's a point in a full bike license. there are a few 125s that will get you up to 70+ (albeit with a lot of noise) which is endurable if you only do 100+ mile stints occasionally.

The CBT is a day course, and it is essentially a license for anything upto 125cc, so once you've done it you can ride all you like.

With my bike it comes upto about this to get up and running:

Bike £700

CBT £100

3rd Party fire and theft cover - £250

Tax - £15

MOT test - £50 (my bike is less than 3 years old so i don't have to worry about that)

even if you plan to get a bigger bike I'd suggest getting a 125 anyway in the meantime, cause you save a hell of a lot on lessons, and if you come off it will ultimately be less expensive and damaging to yourself. also you get the instant ability to get around rather than waiting to pass.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump, only just seen the thread :lol:

If you're still looking for a bike, but want a superbike esque look without having to pass your test, then I would strongly reccomend the Yamaha YZF-R125. It's a brilliant bike. Gets around 100mpg, 80mph (which isn't bad for an 8th of a litre) Costs roughly £3000, though. But you could pick one up for around £1500 used.

They look exactly like R6/R1's except for the fact that it looks stupid with a small engine XD

Take a look for yourself:

2008-YZF-R125-static-03_tcm26-208735.jpg