We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

HELP!! Running into issues left and right!!

killalldude

:cry: Ok, so I built this new computer a few weeks ago, and it was working just great. Some days ago, I was just surfing the net and my computer randomly turned off. I tried to on it again and the fans spun for a couple of seconds and then just stopped. I googled around and concluded that my PSU went bad. After installing my new PSU, I booted up my system again and there was a loud POP sound. There was no display on the monitor at all. I shut down the computer and smelled all of the parts. My graphics card smelled like a used firecracker so I decided that my card went bad. I had another crappy card lying around and plugged it in. When I booted my computer again, everything seemed fine, except there was still no display on my screen. All of the fans are spinning and everything. Even the GPU fan was spinning. I googled around again and have so far learned that my motherboard may have gone bad. I really hope that this is not the case. Any help would be appreciated. :cry:

My specs:

Motherboard: ASRock SuperComputer

CPU: Intel i7

Graphics card that smells bad: nVidia 9800GT

Crappy Graphics card: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-730SS (730 watts)

Tell me if I left something out, I probably did.

Also, with my old power supply (700w COOLMAX CUG-700B), the computer did not turn on at all. The fans spun a couple times, but nothing else. With my new power supply, the computer actually turns on, but there is nothing displayed on my monitor. I have not overclocked any part in my computer.

Did you apply enough thermal paste to your processor?

Can the PC boot into the BIOS (IE, can you hear a short beep even if there is no display)

is your VGA/HDI cable working properly

Same for your monitor, does that work?

There are many things which spring to mind when a PC just shuts down and doesn't come back on.

1: Processor. Could have burnt out (hence the thermal paste)

2: Motherboard. Could be kaputt, the fans turn on as a diagnosis.

3: Graphics card. IIRC, PC's can't boot properly without a display device.

4: Power fault. Maybe the house's power cuts out with your PC (some houses do!)

They're the only things that spring to mind at the moment, but if you could give a little more information on what happens, as in the fans spinning for a certain time/indefinately. etc.

^ Thanks for the help Mr. Spongie =). Now my computer is running fine, except my graphics card fan (9800GT) isn't spinning. Is it a DIY type of repair or should I get the card repaired? When I manually spin the fan with my fingers the fan does not rotate smoothly and there is a scratchy kind of sound.