We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

1 Ipod with 2 PC's?

Pherelas

hi, I have 2 pc's, one at uni and one at home. Is it possible to to have the ipod connect to both and be able to add new music and apps from either pc. At the moment only the home PC can do this and if I connect it to the uni pc it asks me to delete everything first. Useless.

Things like this is the reason I havn't bought anything from apple so far, is it just apple being a nightmare again or is there a way?

Thanks.

There is a way to do this, you got to authorize both pc's (forgot how to do this, just google it) and sign into itunes account, and your done!

That only allows more than one machine to play purchased content, it doesn't allow you to use two PC's on the same iPod. There is no way to do this without jailbreaking.

Oh cool +rep.

If I download a new album from i-tunes will I have to manually take the files from one pc to the other? I take the authorisation just means it can be played on that pc with the protection they put on the file?

That only allows more than one machine to play purchased content, it doesn't allow you to use two PC's on the same iPod. There is no way to do this without jailbreaking.

Oh, so how does this manual thing work. Can I add a song from one pc, move to the other pc and add another song from there?

Oh, so how does this manual thing work. Can I add a song from one pc, move to the other pc and add another song from there?

Only one PC can host the iPod's library. If you want songs from another PC you would have to move them via memory stick or other such media to the PC with your iPod library on it.

Any purchased content without DRM (all songs at 256kbps) will work on the other PC without the need to authorise it.

Using two PC's simultaneously though is only possible by Jailbreaking, and using the software Woodruff linked to.

I had to do something similar when I formatted my PC.

I assumed I'd be able to get my iPod songs back onto the PC afterwards but it's not possible without backing up (impossible for me) or using 3rd party software.

I used SharePod, freeware and it automatically imports the songs into your iTunes library. I don't know about syncing with 2 PC's but the other guys seems to know more about it stuff with regards to that.

Kinda sucks really but apparently it's to stop people "stealing music". Fat lot of good that did.

I'll just quote myself then....

This is the only way atm.

Tell me what firmware your running and I'll help you out.

I'm running 3.1.3 but I have a problem with the headphone jack so it needs to go back so need to keep warrenty. Thanks though.

So overall its impossible if you keep your warrenty, good to see apple are offering a decent product here :)

I'm running 3.1.3 but I have a problem with the headphone jack so it needs to go back so need to keep warrenty. Thanks though.

So overall its impossible if you keep your warrenty, good to see apple are offering a decent product here :)

They dont want you taking everyones music for free :D

Take the product back and when you get a new one let me know ill give you a hand.

They dont want you taking everyones music for free :D

Take the product back and when you get a new one let me know ill give you a hand.

Yer i'd take their point about stealing music if every other mp3 player didn't allow you to do and you couldnt transfer music with usb stick / email / msn ect. :)

Thanks, i've just got to send in back to amazon but will take it into apple store tomorrow to see if they can do anything quicker.