We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ford GT 40

Cadillac sixteen

Still, we have Tool's Ford GT.

I'd honestly rather have the old GT-40 Mark4 than the Ford GT. The lines and curves are better, and the performance is better as well. I've got a video of the Mark4 at the old LeMans (before the track redesign) giving a demonstration lap and the car is running 240mph at the end of the Mulsanne straight.

240mph???? are you kidding me? you must be joking i mean, look even the bugatti is having gearbox and tires problems once it comes to a long top speed run and you want me to belive you that a 50 years older car was capable of such speeds? well the bugatti is a bit faster but its very hard for me to imagine something like that..

It's a VHS tape called "Hot Cars", and one of the sections of the tape is on the GT-40, and they showed vintage Stirling Moss footage of him driving a Mark-4 running the old original LeMans and hitting upwards of 240 on the Mulsanne Straight.

That same video is on the tape.

He's above 150mph at the START of the Mulsanne straight, and above 200 just a quarter of the way down the straight. By the time he hits the end of the straight, he's into the 240mph range for just a few seconds so it's safe on his tires.

EDIT: Here's another

In the rest of the tape they explain that in race trim, the Mark 4's were geared to run 240+ in top gear flat out. Powered by a big block 427cid V8 bumping well over 650hp and some very slippery aerodynamics this is easily possible.

Those crazy speeds were the main reason they put the chicanes in the Mulsanne straight, the cars were getting too fast. The same thing happened in NASCAR, those old Daytona Superbirds were pushing 220+ way back in the late 60's and early 70's so NASCAR made a ton of rules to slow the cars down.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the Veyron wasn't the first "production car" to hit 250+mph. The Callaway "SledgeHammer" twin turbo Corvette did it first, it hit

way back in 1988. I still have the car magazine that ran the article somewhere.

sounds logical but still not that easy to belive

Nah, not really, you just need the right combination of aerodynamics, horsepower, and gearing.

The Oldsmobile Aerotech Quad 4 ran 267.88mph in 1987 on a 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo engine, the engine was mega-tuned bumping the 1000hp range though :eek2:

It also captured some of the endurance speed records well in excess of 250+ mph range.

i never doubted the fact that small, well better said "smaller" engines are cabable of doing 250+ with more than 1000bhp. i mean look at the r32 and r33, there are some of them running at the same level with super hyper bigger than big blocks with a million more cylinders than a rb26 has..

but these high powered small displacement cars are just a few jears old and thats the point were my mind stops to belive it cuz the cars were´re talking about are over 30 years old, you know what i mean?

and thats the point were my mind stops to belive it cuz the cars were´re talking about are over 30 years old, you know what i mean?

Oh I know, but they really did know how to do speed back then, there's a vid on youtube of a Jag D-Type able to run 180+mph back in the 60's.

Back in the mid to late 80's lots of people were super impressed by stock vehicles that could pump out 220 horsepower with a V8, and I never fell for the hype because I knew what the Musclecars were doing back in the 70's hitting well into the 400hp range for street vehicles.

i totally agree with you on that cuz i indeed like huge engines and i cant stand this common trend in these days to use a "1.smaller-than-you-thnik" liter with a bigger turbo than the engine and a even greater turbolag outputtung something at 200bhp. I just cant stand that!!!!

what i hate aswell is the exact opposite of this like the muscle cars had back in the days, a biiiiiiiiig engine which was twice as big as a golf gti but still produced about 300hp...

i mean who want such a big engine that can barely handle the weight of the engine itself because of such a lack of power. Thats simply embarrassing!!!

I'd honestly rather have the old GT-40 Mark4 than the Ford GT. The lines and curves are better, and the performance is better as well. I've got a video of the Mark4 at the old LeMans (before the track redesign) giving a demonstration lap and the car is running 240mph at the end of the Mulsanne straight.

funny how no car ever came close to 240 mph until 91 when the f1 came out

edit: yeah the callaway vette hit over 250 mph but that was a full out project the gt40 only hit 200 mph or so

funny how no car ever came close to 240 mph until 91 when the f1 came out

edit: yeah the callaway vette hit over 250 mph but that was a full out project the gt40 only hit 200 mph or so

You should really go back and research your Car History, this time, I suggest going back farther than 1991.

The original GT-40 Mark-4 racecars were hitting 240 at the end of the Mulsanne straight at LeMans back in the late 60's, and I already posted video links to prove it, check

at 1:10. Somehow I think that Stirling Moss and the other GT-40 drivers are a far more reliable source of information than one of McLaren's advertising pamphlets.

There's a reason that LeMans added the chicanes to Mulsanne, the cars were getting too fast and the aerodynamics were getting too good. The cars were producing enough downforce to literally shred the tires at top speed so they added the chicanes to slow them down and make the racing safer. NASCAR did the same thing with the Daytona SuperBird, they were hitting 220+ back in the 70's because of their aero and power combination and nobody could keep up, so NASCAR outlawed the SuperBird.

All it takes is the right combination of aerodynamics, horsepower, and gearing.