We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

E8400 to 3.6ghz on stock cooling

ShadowGT

Is this safe? I used a guide i found a guide off the net to overclock my E8400 3ghz to 3.6ghz. I did it in the BIOS & stress tested it using Orthos for 2 hours & no errors occurred. The hotest temprature it reached was 77'C under full load. Is that ok for stock cooling?

Heres the proof

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

Also is 3.6ghz a big improvement? i havent really tried any games yet. Just a lil nervous. This computer is my baby, but i got no more money to fix her if i bugger something up.

I tried this a couple of months ago, also on stock cooling. The overclock didn't like Supreme Commander but was fine with every other game. I don't recall my temperatures being that high but they should be OK. For piece of mind you may want to get an aftermarket cooler though. The 3-3.6GHz overclock isn't anything to worry about with the E8400, or so I've heard, hence why I tried it. It's also a popular one. You've also got the E0 stepping version so you may be able to push it a bit further without a problem, but I wouldn't bother without a change to the cooling system.

I'm back on 3GHz now because I want my processor to last, I know overclocking doesn't phase processors that much but I just felt it was an overall safer bet to return it to stock speeds. In all honestly I hardly noticed a difference in FPS on games so it wasn't really much of a loss for me.

tbh theres no need to have it at 3.6 if you ever got an aftermarket coole then hell why not but increase temps and noise isnt worth it, you'll hardly notice a difference.

By the looks of it your system should run anything anyway :D

Oh i did some more Stress testing in some CPU intensive games (GTA 4 & Battlefield bad company 2) & the hottest it got was 70'c. I might leave it on this overclock for now. I haven't run into any trouble with it yet apart from increased temps.

Do you really need to overclock your computer? If not then it's pretty stupid to do as it causes increased voltages and more heat which in turn can lower the lifespa of your hardware.

While 70C might be fine for your CPU it won't be for your motherboard and could be overheating it around the CPU area.

Always aim for the lowest power usage and temp only overclock if nessesary. Or to see what you can do xD

I'd advise going back to 3Ghz and possiably even lower.... my i7 is set at 1.5GHz at lol unclocking makes your system so quiet :p

an extract from the guide you used...

My computer has an aftermarket Zalman 9700-LED cooler and idles at around 34 degrees and about 55 with a full stress load.

Please downgrade the overclock your using, your CPU's life will be demolished.

May i ask why did you overclock in the first place? for performence or just to see if you could do it?

an extract from the guide you used...

Please downgrade the overclock your using, your CPU's life will be demolished.

May i ask why did you overclock in the first place? for performance or just to see if you could do it?

A little from column A, a little Column B. My PC still max's most stuff but on some newer CPU Intensive games is starting to show its age. (can only play GTA 4 at medium/high with decent framerate & Bad Company 2 has the occasional stutters online) Call me a graphic whore or whatever but IMO if a game cant be played max'ed or atleast be played close to max settings then i don't reckon its worth playing because its not being played as it was intended.