We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

HUD Modding Problem - Orange HUD

jut703

So I've recently tried editing a HUD, changing the redline of an existing TDU HUD. So first I extracted the ext_rpm.2db of the HUD I was editing (SSR.bnk). Then, I used TDU modding tools to convert it to DDS. I opened the DDS with DXTbmp, and double clicked on the image. After editing it, I pressed flatten, then clicked save. I then clicked reload after edit on the DXTbmp toolbar. Afterwards, I double clicked on the alpha image, which already existed as I was editing an existing HUD. As I didn't intend on changing anything, I just clicked X after it loaded in PS. I then clicked Reload after edit and refresh alpha. Afterwards, I clicked File >> Save As. I selected DDS and the saveas type was DDS DXT 5. I then converted this file to 2DB using TDUMT then replaced the ext_rpm.2db file in SSR.bnk.

After doing all that, I still have an orange HUD. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Make sure the filesizes are within 5kb (I think) of the original.

Also, open the original straight away in DXTBMP, then click file>save as. Note down the DDS format (Some are different for different cars) then save your modded HUD in that format (With alpha, don't forget!)

That should sort it.

So if I understood correctly, the procedure is as follows:

1. Load up TDUMT, and navigate towards the HUD BNK you plan to edit.

2. Double click ext_rpm.2db in the BNK to load it up in DXTbmp.

3. Once in DXTbmp, double click on the HUD image to load it up in Photoshop.

4. Edit in PS, flatten the image, then click save.

5. Click reload after edit in DXTbmp and then edit Alpha Channel (is editing Alpha Channel still necessary if I already have an Alpha Channel from the HUD I'm editing? If so, how do I edit it if it already has the black box with a grey circle inside?)

6. Click Refresh Alpha and then click Save-As. Do not alter any DDS save settings.

7. Convert DDS file to 2DB using TDUMT.

8. Replace old ext_rpm.2db with the new one using TDUMT.

I followed that procedure and right now I still have an orange HUD. My new 2DB file is 85kb while the old one was 66kb. I don't know how to make it smaller. What's weird for me is that last week I tried doing the same thing, editing the G35.bnk HUD and it worked out well. Now I'm trying it on the SSR.bnk and it's messing up so badly with the orange HUD.

Please help, and thanks. :)

I've never personally made a HUD, so I'm not too sure if you need to edit the alpha channels. But out of all the textures I've modified, I've never had to edit any alpha channels. Only problems I had was orange textures, but that was fixed when I got the format of DDS correct.

Best person to ask would be Fl0w, or another HUD modder.

So if I understood correctly, the procedure is as follows:

1. Load up TDUMT, and navigate towards the HUD BNK you plan to edit.

2. Double click ext_rpm.2db in the BNK to load it up in DXTbmp.

3. Once in DXTbmp, double click on the HUD image to load it up in Photoshop.

4. Edit in PS, flatten the image, then click save.

5. Click reload after edit in DXTbmp and then edit Alpha Channel (is editing Alpha Channel still necessary if I already have an Alpha Channel from the HUD I'm editing? If so, how do I edit it if it already has the black box with a grey circle inside?)

6. Click Refresh Alpha and then click Save-As. Do not alter any DDS save settings.

7. Convert DDS file to 2DB using TDUMT.

8. Replace old ext_rpm.2db with the new one using TDUMT.

I followed that procedure and right now I still have an orange HUD. My new 2DB file is 85kb while the old one was 66kb. I don't know how to make it smaller. What's weird for me is that last week I tried doing the same thing, editing the G35.bnk HUD and it worked out well. Now I'm trying it on the SSR.bnk and it's messing up so badly with the orange HUD.

Please help, and thanks. :)

Don't do anything to the alpha image. I told someone else this same procedure (and I guess that's the one you read) and it seemed to work for them.

Ah yeah, convert that without checking the "keep file size" radio button. Then on the main screen of TDUMT, there should be something that says "file browser" or something...

Click on that and navigate to the HUD you're modifying. Then replace the file in that .bnk with your modified .2db. make sure you click on Replace -> modifying file size (I can't remember exactly what it says. I would check, but the other half seems to have developed an adhesive to my computer >.<)

I finally got it working. Thanks for the input guys, the setting I changed was "Keep Original File Header". It was unchecked previously and when I checked it and loaded the header from the original 2DB file then replaced it, it finally worked. :)

Also, pardon the stupidity and naivety of this question, but how exactly does one make a custom HUD from scratch? Are there downloadable models of HUDs or does one simply look at a picture of a certain car's HUD and replicate it in Photoshop? :)