We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU online is bullying me (fixed)

AustinDB9

Hey.

Well I have had several copies of this game in which I have found ridiculous ways to kill them such as losing the disc and I think I got the serial blacklisted on another one because I used a No-DVD thing (I know, I was very stupid a year ago. Computer IQ of an ape would best describe me back then) but I got a new copy today from some electrical store that cost me a preposterous $6! and yet I am still getting the same issue.When I attempt to log onto the online server, it's saying:

"Failed to connect to the Test Drive Server. Please check your network status and try again" :mad:

I have no idea what on earth it is doing. I just did a complete sweep of the game 10 or so minutes ago to make sure no trace of the old one was left and still no luck. But I'm starting to grow suspicious about Mr. Mcafee. Gamespy is essentially its arch enemy and tries to delete it every scan so I'm starting to think if Mcafee has either corrupted Gamespy on my PC or its just being its useless self and is not letting TDU connect. TDU has full ingoing+outgoing permission. Do any of you know a port for the game which I could try to open? This PC is only about 7 months old and I have never managed to get online.

I may have to rep you if you actually have bothered to read that entire story. If you can help it would be awesome.

Thanks heaps,

Austin

Thats strange. It could me McAfee's firewall I suppose.

I know that over here the Home Hub that BT give you when you take out their broadband package doesn't like TDU online, but it still connects.

Have you tried disabling McAfee while connecting? Or uninstalling it and getting a new AntiVirus program?

I'm sure someone will come along with some better ideas. Hope you get it fixed mate :)

You are probably right. The router. I think its on some stupid mode because about 2 other games on my PC and on the Wii have never worked because of it blocking out "dangerous ports" according to Telstra. (Aussie network) I guess the router will go soon anyway. Our area is getting some big upgrade in a couple of months then Fibre-Optic next year (Thankyou Labor Govt) so hopefully they will need to upgrade that.

But before I go playing with that I might try and temporarily disable the firewall and load it up. There might be a chance that Mcafee is blocking something else that TDU needs to run.

Thanks for helping :)

Even if it is McAfee, shouldn't there be a way to tell it to ignore GameSpy related stuff? Also, someone posted about the TDU servers being down a few days ago, maybe they are again (a long shot, but still).

Did you get online with your old copies, and did you have McAfee back then aswell?

Not the router. Just tried an older one and still the same outcome. It must be my PC because I tried it with the office PC and it loaded online instantly.

@Andreaz. I have never tried it on my current PC And yes all the computers in our house have Mcafee installed. As usual Mcafee is being ridiculous as when I try to disable the firewall, it automatically believes that someone is trying to attack my PC and it switches it back on. But I don't think it is Mcafee anymore. I have added all the TDU and Gamespy ports that I could find on Google. I will beg my dad to let me reinstall windows in a couple of weeks. (he used to be a IT consultant so he has to know everything I do to it.) My PC needs it anyway. Thanks for helping me :)

If that doesn't work I'll guess I might as well just give up. TDU2 comes out next year so hopefully that won't be as hard.

Well the modem that Telstra gave us is a Speedstream? Its our third this year. Stupid thing keeps breaking. But the router is a Netgear I'm pretty sure.

We do live 15 km out of town so we don't get top notch quality internet (800kb/s ADSL2 is the fastest we can get at the moment) I might see If a can rummage through some draws to see if I can find a network adapter. The on board one on my motherboard has been playing up lately. It crashes from time to time.

Won't your Dad let you get rid of McAfee and try something else (*cough*AVG*cough*)? :p

He will. The annoying downside of having a I.T techy as a father.

Not if his dad believed the computer shop salesman and got a 3 year subscription.

My recommendation for best free AV is Microsoft Security Essentials (check the reviews and it does very well).

He's bought a 3 year one 2 years ago so I think it expires dec. There must be a way to temporarily muzzle the stupid program for about 5 mins? Google here I come. :run:

Sure, that's easy. Click Start, Run, and type appwiz.cpl

Now click on McAffee and click Remove

(You can always reinstall it later if you want). It sounds like a bit of a joke, but 'Internet Security Suites' go quite deep into your computer, and even when you tell them to stop, sometimes they still block stuff. I've used ZoneAlarm and Comodo Ineternet Security software before (Comodo is free & very good too btw) and both of them have buttons to disable them completely. From memory, Norton and McAffee aren't so easy to temporarily disable.