We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Road Texture problems

edwin

As you probably know, Illusion Island Paradise mod have a problem with the road texture. He has spend day's to find the solution. I tried to help him but I failed also...

I am pretty sure what the problem is. I think its the mipmap count.

The file cachecrossroad_detail.2DB has 6 mipmaps and is dxt1-like. If you make it a dds file it has 5 mipmaps (witch is o.k.).

Now the part where all goes wrong: If you use the DXTBmp programm to open the file and save the file without modding, than you get 7 mipmaps. 2 to much! After making the file 2db its 8 mipmaps. The DXTBmp program should save just the 5 mipmaps. The result is black road textures in the distance.

So I tried another approach. I tried to not use the DXTBmp programm. Instead I open the dds file directly with photoshop (CS5 with nvidia dds plugin). I open the file without mipmaps and than try to save it. I saved the file with 5 mipmaps and no other adjustments as dxt-1 argb file (also tried rgb). After that I conferted it back to the 2db file and its has 6 mipmaps. Thats just great! I thought... The new texture isn't black in the distance witch confirms my idea of the mipmaps. Only problem is that the new texture is blue with green in the distance :cry:. From close it looks ok. So i am sure that the file saving is not done right!

My question: Is there a way to make the DXTBmp program use the 5 mipmaps instead of 7? If not, what is the correct saving method in photoshop?

There are quite a few persons who should know the answer, becouse their textures has the right amount of mipmaps. Please Help!

I and probably Illusion will be very happy with the solution!

Hi,

I'm not using Photoshop but paint.net (integrated DDS plugin). And had no troubles when saving to these formats:

-DXT1 (Opaque/1bit alpha)

-DXT5 (Interpolated alpha)

-A8R8G8B8

with or without mipmaps included.

This by keeping original texture format, of course. Changing for example DXT1 to DXT5 makes some bugs as TDUMT converter is in a beta state for this particular operation.

The programs I tried now are:

DXTBmp 4.00.96

Photoshop CS5 with plugin

Paint.net

Gimp 2.6with plugin

DDS converter 2.1

They all didn't work....:(

I used different settings in all these programms but that didn't help.

So if you are succesfull in making road mods, please tell us how you made it.:thumbsup:

Thank you! Sadly it doesn't work either...

The program makes 9 mipmaps, witch gave the same blackness problem.

I can save with no mipmaps (0). Then the texture works in the distance but it looks ugly...

9 mipmaps is very huge imo ??! What's texture size in px ?

I could try to alter mipmaps in 2DB files during DDS>2DB (kinda 'force mipmap count' operation for advanced users). Please send me the DXT1 DDS file so I'll try to output it as 5-mipmap 2DB...

9 mipmaps is very huge imo ??! What's texture size in px ?

I could try to alter mipmaps in 2DB files during DDS>2DB (kinda 'force mipmap count' operation for advanced users). Please send me the DXT1 DDS file so I'll try to output it as 5-mipmap 2DB...

The file I use is the standard 256 x 128 pix.

The file I attach is only for testing (just a yellow X).

You can download it

http://www.filefront.com/17360476/cachecrossroad_detail.dds"] Here Or http://www.filefront.com/17360476/cachecrossroad_detail.dds"] Here.

Thanx!:thumbsup:

Thanks for trying to help us with this problem Djey. :)

So far, Opelos was the only one that managed to save them with correct mipmap count. Unfortunately, he didn't wanted to share that knowledge with the rest of community, since I still didn't get reply on my message I've sent him in August.

Anyway, default road texture got 9 mipmaps and it's dimensions are 2048x1024. Like edwin, I've tried numerous tools and saving methods, but so far without any result.

Hi edwin,

here are 3 DXT1-like 2dbs attached, 5-6-7 mipmaps. Any better ?

Hi Djey, you are the best!!:thumbsup:

6 mipmaps worked like a charm!

Maybe you can find a way now how to edit the roads (and sand) in a proper way?