We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 on the MSI GT680R-008US

BeSweeet

I received my MSI GT680 yesterday, and it's a HUGE improvement over my previous laptop, which was a mid-2009 15" MacBook Pro with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz

8GB RAM (2x4GB)

9600M GT 256MB

500GB 7200RPM HDD + 64GB SSD

Windows 7 Professionl x64 + Mac OS X 10.6.6

It was able to play TDU 1 at 1280x720 (high settings, HDR on, 0xAA) at around 40FPS on average. At 1920x1080 with 4xAA, it really choked.

This new machine has the following specs:

Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz (2.9GHz Turbo Mode)

8GB RAM (4x2GB)

500GB 7200RP HDD + 64GB SSD

Nvidia GF GTX 460M 1.5GB

Windows 7 Professional x64

At 1920x1080 (high settings, HDR on, 4xAA), I could get around 50FPS average. A lot of you probably have hardcore desktop rigs, but for a laptop, this is spectacular.

Now, for TDU2... My MacBook Pro could get around 40FPS with all settings on low, 0xAA at 1280x720. My MSI GT680 can play at 1920x1080 (high settings, 0xAA) and get around 45FPS average (offline mode using a modified EXE file, which is an old version of the game, so maybe the retail version will perform better).

Overall, this laptop is a great performer and suits my needs perfectly.

A lot of people are probably asking why I didn't just make a laptop... Well, I like the portability factor. You can't stick a huge gaming rig into a backpack, nor can you easily take it outside in the backyard to play TDU2 while you're laying out on a floater thing in the swimming pool . Battery life is pretty good. About 3.5 hours with light usage (with ECO mode enabled), and probably 80 minutes when gaming.