We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU Has Stopped Working

snarfeck

About half the time I load Test Drive Unlimited 1 on my computer, I receive a "This program has stopped working." dialog box. It happens before the White Atari screen appears. Once I get in the game it's smooth sailing. Below is the error...

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: TestDriveUnlimited.exe

Application Version: 1.1.66.1

Application Timestamp: 468e36be

Fault Module Name: TestDriveUnlimited.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.1.66.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 468e36be

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0010af20

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 3d17

Additional Information 2: 3d179d7023f1cd2f6fb7e656765afa5f

Additional Information 3: e0e6

Additional Information 4: e0e63a53b51ba2b89f5f7535a5f97923

I am running Windows 7 64-Bit. I tried setting the program compatibility as Windows XP, as well as Run as Administrator, and it still comes up with the same error. After a few times it'll eventually work. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this and has a solution.

BTW, I am using the Direct2Drive version. No megapack is installed.

Thank you for your time.

Well i finally figured it out. It was due to my awesome windows firewall settings. The firewall thought the game was installed in the folder "/Atari/TDU", when really it was just under /Atari... I'm still a little confused why the game would need the internet just to start up... I do have a Direct2Drive copy of the game so that could be part of the problem.... Who knows. All I know is the game now works every time.

Thanks for trying to help. Sorry the problem wasn't very adventuresome. :)

edit: As usual the problem came back up. But i (knocking on so much wood right now) I think i figured it out. I tried disabling antivirus, that did nothing, I tried disabling/enabling all my soundcard devices which also did nothing.

I used google and found someone having sort of the same problem here (it's the last post.)

What he/she did was go into device manager and disable any HID-compliant devices that were non-specific named (they all were just called "HID-compliant device".) I had about 15 of these so i disabled all of them. I loaded up TDU about 20 times in a row and it worked every time.

Hopefully someone else will see this if they run into the same problem.

• 10 months later...

I'm having exactly the same problem here, but I don't know what that "HID Compliant Device" means or where to find it to fix my game... -LOL-

I know that sounds stupid, but I have never heard about it before so it is out of my knowlegde.

If you could help telling me more about it so I could finally fix my TDU I'll be glad ;D

It is the same crash report, but I do have the Megapack installed... I'm running the windows 7 64-bit too and I tried everything that came to my mind...